PCV ,vacuum questions. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2006, 02:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

PCV ,vacuum questions.

For quiete a while now I have been looking into PCV valves and vacuum questions and came out with theories but nothing sure..maybe someone here could throw in their ideas?
First I have tried reasonning a choice of a pcv valve corresponding to my specific engine wich is a 383 SBC stroker.I have just recently installed one meant for a 1973 corvette L82 equipped.This could be ,in terms of power similar to my 383.I can see there is a letter marked on top of the small counterweight encountered into the said valve wich in this case is a K.I have other valves that are stamped differently: E and F..the K looks a bit heavyer overall.How they work? Is the "bullit" or "counterweight" inside disminish the vacuum by actually staying sit down or pulled up? A heavyer counterweight,submitted to an equal vacuum,would disminish the said vacuum by disminishing the available aperture at the bottom if this is the way they are designed.Oppositely ,a heavyier bullit would allow a greater vacuum to pass freely if the design calls for a disminishing available passage at the top...

Now vacuum strength. My engine shows around 24 inches/hg at around 2,500RPMs I believe this to be very high figure that overcomes the PCV capacities and oil makes its way into the combustion area...my rings are not sat already neither after only 300 miles so I am facing the problem of finding who'S responsible for the oil consumationCV or rings!I don't like the idea of running without the PCV even for experimenting..concerned about blowing seals.

The same engine shows very low vacuum at 650 RPMs idle at around 7-8 inches/HG...I read about this caused by a small advance or wrong valves timing...the timing is around 15 BFTD at this RPM..should I get it up ?

So anybody here who ever diagnosed a PCV valve and could tell me how it does actually stop oil getting sucked-in?

thanks,Ron.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR383

So anybody here who ever diagnosed a PCV valve and could tell me how it does actually stop oil getting sucked-in?

thanks,Ron.
If the PCV valve is installed in the valve cover; there should be a baffle at the opening to prevent/reduce oil from being sucked into the PCV valve and then into the intake manifold. The factory baffles in the factory valve covers and some aftermarket covers work well. The aftermarket single plate baffles/diverters do not work as well at higher RPMs. If the PCV valve is installed in the intake manifold rather than the valve cover the single plate/diverter is usually used just below the opening. Since there should be less "splash" of oil in the intake valley area the single plate baffle should work fairly well. I have not tried this method yet. I have not used any of the rubber insert type baffles so can not comment on their effectiveness. Not running a baffle will result in oil being sucked through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.