Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - PCV Valve
Thread: PCV Valve
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL
I guess I won't know what the problem is until I pull it apart but for now I am assuming that I put the rings in upside down on those 2 cylinders. I think I had a pretty good cross hatch when I honed the cylinders out, they didn't need to be bored because when I measured them initially they were all within the allowed tolerance for the engine. i was planning on pulling the intake and exhaust off as well as the head and pan and pushing the pistons out the top without taking the motor out so I can't take it to a shop. If I find that the rings were orientated properly, I might then decide to pull the block and get it measured again. If the rings are in upside down, then I think I'll rehone those 2 cylinders and put new rings in ( the right way ) and put it back together. Do you think I will need to get new gaskets ?
Sounds like you have a plan there. You could probably reuse the exhaust gaskets if they separate without tearing. If they leak its not a big job to replace them but if your intake gakskets leak then that is more difficult. As they are crushed on assembly to fit any suraface imperfections, when they are reused they may leak around the water jackets on the ends. When i assembled my 347 i smeared a thin layer of hi-tep rtv silicone around the water jackets. Personally i would put new intakes on.
One thing is for sure you are getting close to the problem .Keep on diggin. If you think you have the problem, get a second opinion from your local engine building shop.
Al.