PCV Valve - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 06:23 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL
I used moly rings when I rebuilt it . I may be a little shy of 30 minutes when I think about it , we may have only ran it for 10 or 15 minutes so I'll run it some more today and see whta it's doing .
Do the rest of the cam break in first, then if possible take it out on the road so you can decelerate against engine braking as described in the link in my previous post.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 06:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just reading through the threads to have such high crankcase pressure i was thinking of a ring issue ( rings compressing on the way down )and when cobalt 327 said the "rings may be upside down" i was thinking along the same line of thought. Probably the worst case scenario but oil forced out the dipstick hole takes a fair bit of crankcase compression.
Al.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Running Down the Road

Last journal entry: Never Finished
Last photo:

Possible

I guess that's possible but I took a lot of time and trouble making sure that they were put in properly. Would a compression test confrim or eliminate this idea?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Running Down the Road

Last photo:

????

I went out to run the engine some more and break in the cam and it is not reving up like it did when I first started it on Saturday. It seems like the extra crankcase pressure is preventing it from reving up. What now ?

Last edited by LBL; 06-11-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:49 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL
I went out to run the engine some more and break in the cam and it is not reving up like it did when I first started it on Saturday. It seems like the extra crankcase pressure is preventing it from reving up. What now ?
Are you positive the right amount of oil is in it, and you (or a helper) didn't accidentally fill it twice or something?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Running Down the Road

Last photo:

I wish

I wish that was the case, I only bought enough oil for one fill and I just checked the dipstick and it's right on. If I had a faulty lifter on an exhaust valve, would that cause blowback into the crank ?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL
I guess that's possible but I took a lot of time and trouble making sure that they were put in properly. Would a compression test confrim or eliminate this idea?
A leak down test will as previously suggested. Once you pressurize the cylinder with piston on TDC you will soon see if there is a ring to cylinder wall sealing issue as there will be a large leakdown. It will also prove your head gasket seal between cylinders . A compression test for a 351 should show between around 140 -160 psi for a standard engine.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Running Down the Road

Last photo:

Problem

I don't have the equipment to do a leakdown test so I thought I would do a compression test. Remember this is probably only after a combined running time of 1/2 hr. Anyways the results are not very good. On the passenger side, all cylinders are between 135 and 145, I was happy with that. On the drivers side, they go like this starting at the front: 132, 110, 135, 105. Is it possible that I have 2 bad exhaust lifters ? What should I look at next, I'm thinking of pulling the valve cover on that side and manually turning the engine over to see if all the valves are moving. If that isn't the problem, I guess the next step is pull the head and then pop those 2 pistons out. I am just guessing at this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL
I don't have the equipment to do a leakdown test so I thought I would do a compression test. Remember this is probably only after a combined running time of 1/2 hr. Anyways the results are not very good. On the passenger side, all cylinders are between 135 and 145, I was happy with that. On the drivers side, they go like this starting at the front: 132, 110, 135, 105. Is it possible that I have 2 bad exhaust lifters ? What should I look at next, I'm thinking of pulling the valve cover on that side and manually turning the engine over to see if all the valves are moving. If that isn't the problem, I guess the next step is pull the head and then pop those 2 pistons out. I am just guessing at this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
On the cylinders that are low if you squirt some oil down the plug hole then run the compression test again you can determine if the rings are the probelm or the head gasket or valve seat sealing issue.
On the cylinder with 105 psi add 2or 3 squirts of oil from a can. Screw in the comp tester and crank it over. If your rings are the issue you will see a higher compression on the gauge as the oil temporarily seals the rings. I f the reading on your compression gauge stays the same (105)then you know it is a problem above the rings which only leaves valves or head gasket or in the worst case, cracks.
Al.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL
I would start by readjusting the valves of the low cylinders to be sure none of them were set too tight.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Running Down the Road

Last photo:

Lifters

The lifters and rockers that I'm using have no adjustment on them, they're the ones that just tighten until they bottom out on the pedestals. I'm going out to the garage now to try adding some oil to the cylinders. Thanks for the help you guys, i appreciate it .
Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Running Down the Road

Last photo:

Damn

I put a few squirts of oil in both the low cylinders and got readings of 150 in both cylinders. Not too sure what the hell happened but I guess I'm pulling her apart again ...Damn!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL
I put a few squirts of oil in both the low cylinders and got readings of 150 in both cylinders. Not too sure what the hell happened but I guess I'm pulling her apart again ...Damn!
Its disappointing but s--t happens. I was in at the engine reco shop today and mentioned your problem. He said a guy had a similar problem and had inserted the second compression ring in upside down . Cylinder bore diameter to piston clearance and hone finish is important also. And ring end gap sitting on a piston in the bore unless you have gapless rings.
Here is some reading for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img250.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	788.8 KB
ID:	66029   Click image for larger version

Name:	img251.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	867.7 KB
ID:	66030   Click image for larger version

Name:	img252.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	933.9 KB
ID:	66031   Click image for larger version

Name:	img253.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	844.0 KB
ID:	66032   Click image for larger version

Name:	img254.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	838.9 KB
ID:	66033  

Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Mustang Al.
Its disappointing but s--t happens. I was in at the engine reco shop today and mentioned your problem. He said a guy had a similar problem and had inserted the second compression ring in upside down . Cylinder bore diameter to piston clearance and hone finish is important also. And ring end gap sitting on a piston in the bore unless you have gapless rings.
Here is some reading for you.
Plus the last three pages of the chapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img255.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	907.9 KB
ID:	66034   Click image for larger version

Name:	img256.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	956.1 KB
ID:	66035   Click image for larger version

Name:	img257.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	709.3 KB
ID:	66036  
Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Running Down the Road

Last photo:

Thanks Al

Thanks for the reading, as much as I am disapointed, at least I know what the problem is and can move forward to fix it. This is my first engine rebuild and I was quite happy that I had no leaks, or knocks and it fired right up so as soon as I get those pistons out and fix the problem, I should have a good strong running engine. If it is just a couple of rings in upside down, am I okay flipping tham or should I use new rings on those pistons? Thanks again

Tags
351 windsor, ford

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.