PCV Valve, do I really need to run one? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cheep valve covers with no baffle:

Valve covers angle a bit to the rear of the engine oil sprays and splashes off the rockers and hits the top of the valve covers runs back to the grommet runs down the sides of the rubber runs off in a stream or hangs in droplets on the end of the grommet and is sucked up by the pcv, the baffle acts like a dam around the grommet it stops splash and the oil running down the top of the valve cover to the rear of the engine before it hits the grommet and it runs dawn the side of the baffle and drops off Keeping the grommet fairly dry!! Blow by can push oil into the baffle and breathers or cheep set ups will be in the oil stream off the rockers like F.B. said! I doubt if you have excessive blow by! You just need valve covers with well designed baffles

Some valve covers have windage dams above the rockers and stop the running of oil along the top of the valve cover and direct the oil away! Cheep rocker covers just look good and even the baffles don't do the job they are intended to do!

Jester

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 PM

have you considered circle track valve covers?
just an example

These Allstar Performance steel valve covers feature reinforced rails for improved gasket sealing and are constructed from durable steel. They have two 1 1/2 in. baffled breather tubes on one and a plain top with no holes on the other. The valve covers come in your choice of finishes, so you can choose what's best for your engine compartment.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

I had an issue with warping and getting a good seal with my old steel covers. thats why I went with the aluminimum ones.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED CIRCLE TRACK COVERS,rofllll? they are extra vented. they also offer plumbing into the exhaust system
Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Those baffles are not for a pcv and wont work in the respect of keeping oil out of the vacuum line! They are for installing extra breathers!

You need a baffle that insulates the grommet and wont let liquid oil get close to the vacuum draw but lets fumes get to the PCV like a bottom vented box between the rockers low enough to be out of the oil cast off but high enough to be off the head surface! with those low profile covers it would be hard! They sure are "PURDY" though You may have to hook up a catch can like mentioned earlier!

Jester
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

I also ordered some pcv specific baffled grommets just in case. I'm also putting together an oil catch can setup. That should help me see just how much oil is actually getting sucked into the intake and burnt onto my pistons.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.