Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   PCV Valve, do I really need to run one? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pcv-valve-do-i-really-need-run-one-230072.html)

71fj40guy 02-26-2013 10:28 PM

PCV Valve, do I really need to run one?
 
Currently I'm running a spectre pcv valve on one valve cover and a breather on the other. Would it be bad to run 2 breathers instead, would it effect engine longevity?

currently the motor is a stock 290hp gm performance crate motor. It's installed in a daily driven 1971 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/picture.php?...ictureid=23194

vinniekq2 02-26-2013 10:41 PM

Are you thinking about running a vacuum pump,or just letting the engine vent w/e it wants out the holes in the valve covers?

F-BIRD'88 02-26-2013 11:16 PM

There is no benefit to disabling the PCV system and plenty of down side,
including but not limited to throwing the idle circuit out of wack.

The PCV is part of the idle circuit.

71fj40guy 02-27-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 (Post 1651014)
There is no benefit to disabling the PCV system and plenty of down side,
including but not limited to throwing the idle circuit out of wack.

The PCV is part of the idle circuit.

Apparently one of the issues I'm having is oil being sucked into the manifold then into the combustion chamber. Right now I'm running a spectre baffled grommet and pcv valve running into the front vacuum port of my quadrajet.

gearheadslife 02-27-2013 07:39 AM

I had a p.o.s. that did that not calling your vehicle a p.o.s. just mine
I took a longer hose and made a loop.. with the part from pcv to loop an incline..
the oil had a hard time climb'n the loop and the incline let the oil drain back as most pcv dont seal real tight when closed..

cheap and dirty fix..

OLNOLAN 02-27-2013 07:50 AM

Oil separator
 
Consider a catch tank. If it starts filling with oil then you'll know where the problem is. If it does not catch any oil, then you'll know its migrating from elsewhere, such as valve guides/seals, intake gaskets, rocker stud threads, etc.
Nolan

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...perator&ddsc=1

painted jester 02-27-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71fj40guy (Post 1651091)
Apparently one of the issues I'm having is oil being sucked into the manifold then into the combustion chamber. Right now I'm running a spectre baffled grommet and pcv valve running into the front vacuum port of my quadrajet.

Ive never seen a baffled gromet that actually works!! the oil collects on the rubber runs down and is sucked into the pcv LOL they are junk you need valve covers with baffles bellow the breather hole that set away from the grommit .

Jester

71fj40guy 02-27-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painted jester (Post 1651123)
Ive never seen a baffled gromet that actually works!! the oil collects on the rubber runs down and is sucked into the pcv LOL they are junk you need valve covers with baffles bellow the breather hole that set away from the grommit .

Jester

That's what I was affraid of.
Does anyone know who makes aluminum covers that have baffles?

gearheadslife 02-27-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71fj40guy (Post 1651153)
That's what I was affraid of.
Does anyone know who makes aluminum covers that have baffles?

SUMMIT, AMONG OTHERS.. even gm
what bolt pattern outer or center?

bigdog7373 02-27-2013 10:41 AM

Run baffled valve covers. Even Mr gasket covers are baffled.

oldbogie 02-27-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71fj40guy (Post 1650999)
Currently I'm running a spectre pcv valve on one valve cover and a breather on the other. Would it be bad to run 2 breathers instead, would it effect engine longevity?

currently the motor is a stock 290hp gm performance crate motor. It's installed in a daily driven 1971 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/picture.php?...ictureid=23194

Pulling oil over the PCV would indicate that either (or both) the PCV is missmatched to the engine, the PCV has failed, there is insufficient or missing oil seperation media before the PCV, the compression rings are damaged, not seated (broken in), end gap too wide, or worn out (any of these results in excessive blow by), the engine is operated at elevated RPMs and high loads (this resuts in high amounts of blow by and lots of internally flying oil which has gotta come out somewhere).

Certainly a compression and a leak down test are in order up front as if the problem is in ring sealing for what ever reason, nothing else will solve the problem so there's little sense in spending a chunk of money on band-aids only to find it's still bleeding to death.

The PCV is intended to remove blow-by products from a normally healthy engine so first this means there's not a lot of blow by to begin with. Secondly blow by consists of compression and combustion gases that get past the rings, for the most part this is a combustable mixture that is rather corrosive when it mixes and circulates with the lube oil so burning it adds a lot of years to the engine's life. The presence of lube oil passing the breathers tells you that either the filter/seperation media is missing or failed in a normally healthy engine or that the engine is not healthy having a serious problem that is producing so much blow by that the seperation media is overwhelmed.

Bogie

F-BIRD'88 02-27-2013 04:24 PM

Most aftermarket SBC valve covers have the PCV hole in the wrong spot on the cover and lack any oil baffling.

The result is:
The PCV hole gets a direct shot from the rockers oil spray. Many many aftermarket parts may look pretty but are of fubar design.

71fj40guy 02-27-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 (Post 1651346)
Most aftermarket SBC valve covers have the PCV hole in the wrong spot on the cover and lack any oil baffling.

The result is:
The PCV hole gets a direct shot from the rockers oil spray. Many many aftermarket parts may look pretty but are of fubar design.

I just ordered a retrofit baffle for my valve covers.

cadillacdave1 02-27-2013 06:55 PM

Try a different valve cover that has baffles. Sometimes the breather/PCV opening in the valve cover is in a bad spot and gets a lot of oil from the rocker arms. The baffles will limit the amount of oil that travels directly into the PCV. You don't want to completely eliminate the system as you need to have some sort of crankcase evacuation system. You could also run a crankcase evac system with breathers on both valve covers with hoses piped to your exhaust. No oil to go into the intake manifold carbon up the plugs. The plugs stay cleaner and the extra gases go out with the exhaust. Not good if you have to pass emissions testing. :)

lakeroadster 02-27-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71fj40guy (Post 1650999)

Awesome Land Cruiser!

If you have a alot of blowby the baffled valve cover still won't solve the issue.

OLNOLAN's catch can idea is a good "stop gap" measure until you have the time / money / ambition to address the real issues that are creating the blow by.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.