PCV Valve Selection for a Healey - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

PCV Valve Selection

I have always been impressed with the knowledge exhibited during these discussions and, after a number of frustrating searches. Decided to ask for help.

Although not remotely considered a Hot Rod, I have a 1964 Austin Healey 3000 Mk III with a 2912cc dual-carburetor/dual-exhaust engine. Presently, I am looking at reducing crankcase pressure through the installation of a PCV valve. Since the Healey was not originally equipped with a PCV valve, I have been frustrated in my attempt to identify what specific engine run characteristics or where to find PCV specifications from which to make a proper selection.

Plumbing for a Healey PCV appears to be rather simple with an existing crankcase/valve-cover/air-cleaner-port path presently used to less-than-efficiently evacuate blow-by gasses. I anticipate rerouting the air-cleaner port hose connection through an oil-catch-can to a PCV valve with a manifold connection secured by installing a T into the remote brake servo’s vacuum line.

The problem; how do I select the PCV valve for this implementation?

Thanks and all the best,

Ray/Healey64

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 01:42 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I would base the selection on a similar displacement, naturally aspirated engine that DOES use a PCV valve. That should provide you with a compatible flow rate and such.

FWIW, I like the Healey. Not a big mill, but darned if it won't corner!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:43 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

hmmm well giving this a shot but since a healey is a completely new animal too me, i'll stick to the basics. The PCV valve is there to act as a type of regulator so that under low load conditions when blow by gases are minimal and the crank pressures are also lowest the valve tends to stay closed. When the PCV valves opens you need to introduce clean air into the crankcase to make up for the air/gasses the PCV valve is passing, clean air in and bad air out completes the circuit. The type of PCV valve should match the vacuum characteristics of the engine. Are you planning on hooking the PCV valve directly to the intake manifold or to the carb/carbs?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

Hard to tell from this photo, but I would think there's a breather hose inlet into the back of the air cleaner...

The 2912cc C-series engine was a strong old beast, though not derived (as many people think) from a truck engine. It would hold its speed well once wound up and could be incredibly economical with those SU carburettors.

Healey suspension left a lot to be desired, but if you can keep to smooth roads you'll do all right with it. The later (prototype only) Austin-Healey 4000 was much better in this regard.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:41 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Over the years, blow-by has increased with surpassing 100k+ mileage and accompanying ware. I guess a 11 to 1 compression ratio and common redline shifts hasn’t helped either. Add to these conditions is the fact that Healeys use an oil slinger rather than rear seal and the result is more oil on the garage floor.

I have looked for a PCV valve that was/is used in a carbureted car with an engine displacement close to 3K cc (177cubes) without finding an available valve. Any suggestions?

Ray, you are correct in that the Healey’s crankcase and valve cover are vented to a port on the air cleaner of the rear carburetor. Although this is marginally cleaner that a open vent tube, it does not draw but uses internal crank pressure to push the gasses.

Custom10, My intention is to redirect the carburetor port hose through an oil catch can to the valve and tap manifold vacuum by placing a T in the remote brake servo vacuum line.

Although I concede that rebuilding the engine may improve the blow-by condition, rebuilds by others have not resolved this condition and I can not afford to go through the expense and effort at this time.

I understand that the valve must match the specific vacuum profile of the car it was designed for and, again, have had no success in identifying what vacuum points to measure or where to find PCV specs to match.

Any suggestions.

All the best,

Ray-Healey64
Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

How about one from a carburetted 3.3-litre Holden 6?

We could probably post you one of those fairly cheaply...

Old 08-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Just guessing here. I would use one supplied to similar sized motors that came with them from the factory. Bob
PS This is a great place to get answers and help isn't
Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 PM

Hi Ray,

Sorry for my slow response as I have just returned.

Thank you for your offer and I would like to take you up on it, however, I don’t want be an inconvenience. I like the idea of using a 3.3L for this effort as the additional displacement handling capacity of the Holden PCV could probably make up for the Healey’s ware and growing blow-by.

Do any American models share the Holden’s engine?

Is there an on-line supplier that you feel would be a good source?

All the best,
Ray (Healey64)
Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 AM

Last photo:

No idea about online suppliers...

Mentioned this to my nephew this morning, he's in the trade and I wanted to ask him about pricing. He said he can't understand why you don't get one from the US Falcon 6, they had a 200 cubic inch version and he knows they had PCVs for them.

Anyway, that aside, if you need to we can purchase and post. No trouble. Well... not much, anyway.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 AM

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your help…and thank your nephew as well. I redirected my search to the Falcon and Mustang with the 200CI engine and found a supplier for that PCV.

My thought is to purchase the PCV and make an initial simple installation to test its profile by also installing a vacuum gage in line. With this installation I am hoping to make sure the spring will close at idle and open fully at driving RPMs. Since I do not have any engine or PCV specs, I am unable to make any operational comparisons than the valve’s full open and close points.

Do you think this process will give me the PCV validation I am looking for? I have heard so many stories on problems caused by inappropriate or malfunctioning PCVs on engine performance and don’t need those experiences. However, since the most common phrase at our British Car Club meetings is “If you think that’s bad, let me tell you what happened to me”, those experiences would probably fit.

Thanks again and all the best,

Ray (Healey 64)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.