Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   PCV Valve setup (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pcv-valve-setup-226939.html)

fastnloud 12-07-2012 10:02 PM

PCV Valve setup

I have an 82 GMC Sierra with a built 350, on my valves covers one side has a breather cap, and the other side has a push in style oil fill cap.

My breather cap is starting to go bad and it letting some oil come up out of it, I would like to go ahead and switch it over to pcv valve. What all do I need to do this?

I found this pcv valve.
Chevrolet Performance PCV Valves 6487779 - SummitRacing.com

But, is there other parts I will need to get it all set up?

Thanks guys :cool:

cdminter59 12-08-2012 04:34 AM

PCV Valve setup

Any auto parts store has the PCV valve. You would need the rubber grommet the fits the valve cover hole and some 3/8 vacuum hose.

Greg T 12-08-2012 06:38 AM

You'll probably need to retune the carb also. If you adjusted your AF ratio to optimum with no PCV then you'll be leaning the hell out of it when you put that huge vac leak in called the PCV.

75gmck25 12-08-2012 11:25 AM

The stock setup has a PCV valve in a grommet in the driver's side valve cover, and there is a large diameter (3/8"?) rubber line running over the the carburetor. This is where is is sucking crankcase vapor into the carb base and then into the cylinder. As someone else mentioned, adding this extra air source may make your carb go leaner.

On the passenger side you can use a vented cap in the valve cover or a rubber line running up to the air cleaner filter area (this is the stock arrangement). This is where ambient air is sucked into the crankcase, so you just need a relatively clean air path. The stock setup uses a rough mesh filter on the air cleaner fitting to prevent sucking in too much dirt.

Bruce

fastnloud 12-08-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75gmck25 (Post 1620439)
The stock setup has a PCV valve in a grommet in the driver's side valve cover, and there is a large diameter (3/8"?) rubber line running over the the carburetor. This is where is is sucking crankcase vapor into the carb base and then into the cylinder. As someone else mentioned, adding this extra air source may make your carb go leaner.

On the passenger side you can use a vented cap in the valve cover or a rubber line running up to the air cleaner filter area (this is the stock arrangement). This is where ambient air is sucked into the crankcase, so you just need a relatively clean air path. The stock setup uses a rough mesh filter on the air cleaner fitting to prevent sucking in too much dirt.

Bruce

Right now mine has a breather cap on the passenger side, and the push in oil cap on the driver side. Can I just put a PCV Valve in the passenger side, and leave the push in oil cap on the driver side?

Thanks everyone for the help.

RWENUTS 12-08-2012 05:22 PM

No. You need the pcv on one cover and a breather on the other cover.

fastnloud 12-08-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWENUTS (Post 1620594)
No. You need the pcv on one cover and a breather on the other cover.

Alright thanks, so just use the breather as my oil fill cap?

RWENUTS 12-08-2012 07:14 PM

Maybe.
Put the pcv on the cover that has a baffle under the hole. Use the other for your breather and oil fill spot.

fastnloud 12-08-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWENUTS (Post 1620629)
Maybe.
Put the pcv on the cover that has a baffle under the hole. Use the other for your breather and oil fill spot.

Alright, thanks for the help :)