PCV valve, smoke out exhaust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

PCV valve, smoke out exhaust

So I've had the 355 for a while, got most of the details figured out; but i have a problem.

when i rev the engine above 3000 rpm or so, i get smoke from burned oil. I have had someone confirm it as well. Just had the heads redone, intake manifold is on right.

I have an edelbrock 600 cfm carb with the pcv valve on the drivers side, and a breather on the other. I just now realized that it doesn't make sense. Should i only have a pvc valve so that air doesn't get sucked through the breather, through the engine, and into the carb???

Its i really build 355, 7000rpm redline says the cam, mechanical lifters, 11.5:1 CR, dual exahust.

I only get the oil smoke at high rpm's, and the spark plugs verify it. Is there a change it would be the piston rings??? i go through a quart of oil every 200 miles or so, and the inside of the intake manifold is dark colored. And its a manual tranny, so no vacuum lines there. The only vacuum lines i have used a power brakes and pcv valve. All the intake manifold ports are plugged, and the unused carb ports are capped.

Ideas?? Should i just cap one of the valve cover holes???

Thanks, Josh

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Oil for sbc 355

On a similar note, i am running 40-50psi oil pressure at idle, and 70-80 at 4000rpm. Using mobil 1 15w-50 racing oil. Too much pressure? Is it causing to much splatter in the valve covers??

Has anyone herd of using high zinc content diesel oil like 10w-40 for built SBC's???
Old 07-12-2009, 03:23 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If you plugged one valve cover the pcv system couldn`t work as it has to breathe and thats why there`s a breather in the other valve cover, this is where it gets it`s air.
Is there any oil in the intake? if so you have a intake leak.
If not then I would say it`s either valve guides or valve seals. Possibly rings.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 AM
AKA Lee in KC

Last photo:

Is there a baffle in the valve cover under the PCV valve? If not, you may be sucking a lot of oil through the PCV. Also, check to see that the PCV valve is actually there and functioning. It should rattle when you shake it. I once bought a billet PCV "valve" and discovered there was no actual valve in it. Just a straight pass-through.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

The valve itself is fine. there is a baffle, but oil can still get through. Do they make something that is an actual filter, not just small holes??

If something was wrong with the rings, would i see other problems?? I only get smoke above 3000 or so, and i have good compression.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.