Hot Rod Forum banner

Pdr

945 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
Here is another Paintless Dent Repair this guy does for us. I opened this door and hit a sharp corner of the frame rack. We are talking the frame rack here guys, basically a 10k Lb pick hammer is what hit this thing. The dent was the size of a dime and DEEP. I was concerned that it wouldn't come out. Our PDR guy did it in minutes. It is GONE, I mean NO-THING is left. Not even "orange peel" as PDR will often leave, I mean NOT A THING is left!

I joked and told him it took me longer to dent it than for him to repair it!

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow, everything IS high in CA...:eek:
Nice job, but that would be around $40-50 up here.

Whinny, a good PDR man has about 40 different picks that he uses to get behind the dent and push it out. Usually, they heat the paint with a small torch to soften it first, so it doesn't crack. They guy that does Brian's shops work, obviously has a LOT of experience to work that magic, as the metal was stretched and he has to push it back into shape very carefully.
Most guys acquire pieces as they go, but this is representative of what is needed and the cost of this set.

Set #24 - 40 Piece Master Set 40 Tools/50 Accessories
SKU# SET24
Price $3,995.00

#7 ·
Russ, this is a whole different animal believe me. I could fix that dent bondo free in my sleep. Very easy, very very easy. But PDR is very different. We have tools at the shop, I have watched videos, I have watched the PDR guys work, I gave it a go and couldn't do crap! I got so I could do quite a bit where I could block it to perfection using the paint and primer on the panel, I got that good. But what this guy does, it's on another planet, it is like magic, like he is a damn Warlock or something!

It's like one of the guys told me, start doing it every day doing 10 or 20 a day and in six months or so you may have it. :drunk:

Brian

Reactions: whinny
#8 ·
That hot glue gun in the lower left corner was what took the decent pay potential out of bodywork. Hail meant panels, mud, and paint job back in the day. Then the pushy-outy tools came and took a big bite out of the traditional "panel beating". Now they have the glue studs and can get the roof sides and everything. And like salvage parts, the pricing is set relative to the alternatives rather than the actual time spent. A lot of hail jobs just get a new roof nowadays because the PDR guy would rather not climb up on a lot full of trucks. Thats all just opinion based on my experience.

#14 ·
I recently had an awesome PDR guy do wonders on my 2004 BMW. He works for several of the dealers but in my case I dropped it off on Sat morning at his house. It was done about three hours later. He said he would get all the little dents, etc. I counted more than 17 small dents/dimples and had a large caved in area on right rear qp (next to fuel filler - toughest area he said) where a body slammed into the car (long story).

Car looks new now. Truly amazing what he was able to do for only $300. Many of the dimples were in the middle of the door and he got in there without removing door panel etc. He had over 300 different probes/picks many were customized. I didn't think it was possible, worth every cent and not a skill to be acquired by mere mortals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.