Peak Antifreeze - poor quality, or?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Peak Antifreeze - poor quality, or??

Fall 2011 I dumped the antifreeze out of the car cooling system to do some engine upgrades. It looked like liquid cow manure. I then did a good flush, including removing the engine plugs and thermostat. Installed new Peak antifreeze and distilled water (same as what had come out) and drove it a few hundred miles last season. Flash ahead to last fall (2012) dumped it again to do some, again, upgrades - more cow poo looking stuff though not quite so bad. The engine when I got it, a zero mile SB Ford crate motor, the radiator is a new Walker, the water pump a Stewart's, so it all started at least 'factory fresh' and with distilled water.

My question - is Peak Antifreeze THAT bad now? I haven't tested the mixture's pH yet, but suspect it's off plus I've used it in the past in about everything but my later model vehicles that take $pecial $tuff, since it first came out with absolutely never a problem.

Comments? Suggestions??

Dave W

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

In an effort to help, and after reading your problem, I went on a hunt for info, and found this:

"In a well formulated US green coolant, phosphate works to provide the benefits you describe. However, if the silicate is not well stabilized and the silicate protection is lost for an aluminum head, a phenomenon know as either "hot surface corrosion" or "aluminum transport deposition", depending on what car company you are talking to, can occur."

More On "Antifreeze: Red or Green?"

Coolant/Antifreeze

While I have seen the "Cow Manure" you are describing, I don't know of it's cause, but there is some information in these Articles that I wasn't aware of, and I hope it helps-now I'll step aside and hope someone who really knows can teach us-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM

Good info, Craig. At least I now understand why my V10 truck uses Zerex G-05 HOAT antifreeze at least

B-U-T-T-T-T-T-T - there is that street rod engine, all iron but the intake.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
B-U-T-T-T-T-T-T - there is that street rod engine, all iron but the intake.
Gosh, I'm sorry! I thought they might be Aluminum-
Old 04-12-2013, 04:22 PM

Qualiy... NOT!

The quality of automotive parts and accessories have changed in the last 10 years. Look to see where the part is made now, although some won't label it.
Fram filters world headquarters is based out of R.I.
Guess what, they're filters aren't made there anymore... Say hello China!
The Chinese hate America so they make crappy stuff for us. Chinese Drywall is one of them... Florida is full of it!
How about the fish we buy from them? Their fish live an reproduce in sewers, they eat all kinds of crap... Don't eat fish from China!
I'm sure there's many more items, maybe Peak?
Take a walk through Wal-mart...More crap!
Auto zone and Advance auto have the cheapest prices, just like a lot of the products they sell...Cheap crap. If I need to buy something there I check the Brand name and the country it's from.
Car guys, don't feel bad..... I work on Harleys and there's a lot of aftermarket junk out there for them (Some original parts are foreign)
All I can say is "Read the label and ask around!"
Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I think I have Peak in my '51 Chevy. I really can't remember what I bought but it's either Peak or Supertech. The antifreeze looks quite gross also, but I associated it with the cooling systems age as it has the original GM radiator. I planned on dumping and flushing it in the near future. Now I wonder if it's not the engine and actually the antifreeze. I did only put 30ish miles on the car last year.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

Modern all makes and models coolant is typically a dexcool copy, which means that if there is any air in the system there is a possibility for corrosion. My suggestion is to use an " original green" non 2eha coolant. Original green type coolant will lay down a protective film that provides corrosion protection even if there is some air in the system. I use zerex brand in my cars and have never had issues with brown sludge or the like in a cooling system.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:09 AM

Phew!! What a subject this has turned out to be. You just don't pop the hood, dump the old Prestone and drop a couple gallons of new in any longer. Traditional green antifreeze is usually pretty good for most cases. GM's use the Dex Cool II now. Then there are the Asian cars - OMG!! The Peak I've been using is a traditional but it contains phosphorous but not any silicon based compounds for surface protection - and something Ford says it should have. No reason that I can see as what I have is pretty conventional with an iron engine, brass radiator and heater cores and only the aluminum intake. But it is what the OEM recommends. Valvoline's Extended Life and Zerex G-05 have that 'good stuff' and for only a couple bucks more/gallon. I think I'll pull the 'stat (going to replace it with a Stewart's/Robertshaw anyhow) do a fast flush then install the G-05. It's also compatible with the truck and the wife's Fusion.

Dave W
Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Here in Canada at least, Recochem chemicals claims to have come up with a UNIVERSAL coolant. "One size fits all, like pantyhose" as we call it. I've been selling it for over a year now, and haven't received any negative feedback.
We still get the occasional resistance ... "My mechanic says don't use anything other than (Insert brand name and color here)"

16-314 Concentrate
Brochure including specifications attached in PDF.

This product is also available as a 50/50 premix.

16-324 50/50
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0611_TPHDMFSS_CDN_E.pdf (202.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf 0611_TPHDMFSS_50-50_CDN_E.pdf (202.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 PM

Last photo:

Ok, Im starting to get confused.....Im using aluminum heads, radiator, and water pump on my small block (oh yeah, intake too) so what the heck is safe for my set up?? I dont want corrosion issues on these high dollar parts in no way shape or form.....I will get the distilled water, but red, green, yellow, pink.....wtf antifreeze am I supposed to be using
Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

I've used the Dex Cool in my 97 Z71 since new. 530K on it now with no problems.I change it & flush every 75K to 100K.It's not the bright orange when drain it,but,still looks ok.Also have a 93 GMC w/ 6.2 deisel.I used peak in it & after 5,000 miles had to drain it for some work.It wuz awful.Didn't think a lot about it tho cuz the truck had been sittin for 12 yrs.I did flush it when we dug it out the woods.I don't think I'll be puttin Peak back into it.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
Ok, Im starting to get confused.....Im using aluminum heads, radiator, and water pump on my small block (oh yeah, intake too) so what the heck is safe for my set up?? I dont want corrosion issues on these high dollar parts in no way shape or form.....I will get the distilled water, but red, green, yellow, pink.....wtf antifreeze am I supposed to be using
Yup ... that's the whole point.
It IS confusing, and there are lots of opinions out there.

I recently attended a seminar hosted by an Affinia (Wix Filters) which also had a brief speech on the topic of antifreeze.

He was adamant that there was no such thing as "universal antifreeze", whereon I spoke up with what I had been told about the antifreeeze that I mentioned above (Recochem Mixed Fleet). He maintained that there is no such thing ... that it's simply impossible.

I called Recochem the following day ... and was told YES, it IS universal ... and that they will stand behind it completely.

The only thing that both of these gentlemen would agree on is the use of DEIONIZED water, which is one step above DISTILLED water for automotive coolant use. The 50/50 premix DOES contain deionized water ... which negates the whole "why would I pay for water?" argument.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
I would probably ask the head manufacturer what he recommends/suggests. The G05 I put in my '31 still looks like new. Peak - never again - and I probably have 2-3 fresh gallons on the shelf (sorry Danica !!)

Dave W

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.