Hot Rod Forum banner

Peaking a 55 chevy hood???

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  shine 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do you know how to do this? . i always did my other hoods , but this 55 chevy has a rise ,right where the big bird ornament sets. Whats the best way to get this ready ,for a piece of brake line welded on. .Part of the hood is ready ...from the factory. Let me in on your ideas .thanks much Bob s

#2 ·
Might have an idea or two brewing over here... not sure I get it 100% though. You want to peak the part that faces the sky, but do you want to lose the ornament or keep it? I'll look at some pics when I get home to see if I can figure it out.

#3 ·
yes the peak in the hood from the bird hood ornament back.The raised 1/4" or so that the bird sets on is raised up to accept the bird mount. Approx 2" in dia needs to be flattened before the peak its self can continue on forward down past the curve in the hood,from there i can, figure out just how far i need to go to look right.........................I am losing the bird.... ornament thank you for the reply bob s

#6 ·
Hey Shine! You know what raise i am talking about?So i can back it up with an dollie and peck away at it./So the raise just lays down fairly flat. shrinking it .?
ps i am keeping the peak...and adding to it in the front--tapered back into the stock peak. I think i may get ,going in the wrong direction with splitting it and overlapping it as I drive is saying bob s

#5 ·
OK, I looked at some pictures. Wish I could tell just where the inside bracing lies, I'm assuming its rearward from the bird. Heck I don't hardly know a 210 from a Cameo when it comes to tri-five stuff, haven't worked on them much.

So your hood has the bird and probably the badge below too? I'd bet somebody here has done this very thing at least once before. Since you're up for ideas, heres what I believe I would do. No brake line chunk required:

Speaking as if standing at front center of the hood...

Attachments

#9 ·
raising the peak,,,,,,,,is no problem--whatsover.Iam putting brake line about 8" wild guess. The raise is what was giving me the..headache, or about to.It just seems as i look at it, Its going to be a pain -i-a to hammer or whatever it down

#11 ·
this is what you will have using hammer and dolly. go slow and take your time using a blunt tip hammer. the flat your talking about will move into the peak as you raise it . bring the center up first then work the edge of the flat down.

Attachments

#14 ·
One of the biggest things to remember that is often missed as it was by me for years is that when you move that metal and something happens near by it like a high or low spot remember it's what you moved that made it happen, so planish or shrink or simply move what you did to correct it. The first thing we want to do is go over and push up that low spot or push down the high spot and now we are creating more damage and moving it out even further.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.