Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pearl 2 stage vs. Pearl Pseudo 2 stage - and application question?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pearl 2 stage vs. Pearl Pseudo 2 stage - and application question?

All,

I'm considering an orange "pearl" for my 67 Firebird convertible (I think it might complement the parchment interior), and would rather pursue a 2 stage BC/CC pearl as opposed to the traditional three stage (where I believe a midcoat clear with pearl added is done between the BC and CC). In my research I see that the Kustom Shop and House of Kolor both offer pearl bases, BUT it looks like the HOK base (looking at their tangelo color) actually requires a white base underneath (or minimally a white sealer), whereas I can't tell if the Kustom Shop basecoat requires that. The implication of the HOK base it that it is somewhat translucent (like a candy) and thus application will be more critical. My first question is "Does anyone know for sure if the Kustom Shop pearl base is also somewhat translucent and thus requires the a certain base?"

Links to the two bases are below:

Kustom Shop Pearl Base

HOK Pearl base

My second question involves application. Can these "basecoat pearls" be painted with the parts off the car? My intent would still be to paint the entire car at once, but have the front fenders, hood and trunk lid sitting/hanging on a-frames and shoot them directionally in the same manner as I am shooting the rest of the assembled car.

Thanks all!

Chris