PEARL paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 03:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

PEARL paint

when Pearl is the last word of the color name, what does this mean...
what is pearl paint..
being a newbie, how does this differ from paint that is not pearl ?
Darele

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Pearl essence is an additive that gives a multicolor effect.
there are different hues of pearl.

It is an option like metallic or solid colored etc,

heres a link to a pearl repair that shows a 3 stage "factory pack" pearl
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthr...ght=Sail+panel

Last edited by milo; 02-14-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

so to paint the entire car with a pearl, there would be the base coat, the pearl coat, then the clear ?

i want to paint the entire car but in steps and in pieces. Meaning say the fenders, then the hood, then the trunk lid and so forth. (not on all the same day)
Is this an acceptable method ?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

Well, thats one way to do it, but you could also just use a single-stage with pearl finish (not recommended for beginners), or you could use a basecoat/clearcoat with a pearl basecoat. As far as painting it on different days, ummmm, why would ya wanna do that? Id advise against it...itd be near impossible to make it all match perfectly laying the finish coats on at different times. Using a pearl or metallic would make it even harder to match and if youre not doing it in a booth that even adds to the difficulty, as any change in the weather will affect it. I suppose if you have no other options and it must be painted on different days, you MIGHT get away with it by using a solid color BC/CC.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,123 Times in 998 Posts
Honestly the term "pearl" is not what it used to be. Twenty or thirty years ago when you heard "Pearl" it meant a "three stage" paint job. Base coat, then a clear with pearl added to it over the base and then the clear on top of that. The "mid coat" pearl was a transparent color that you could of course see the base thru it. The final color was made up of this combination of the transparent pearl coat over the base coat.

These days however, you will see the term "Pearl" added to many colors that are simply a "metallic" color and nothing that special at all. It is being thrown around like "Light" in food products, it hardly means anything anymore.

That "Pearl" color you are looking at could very well simply be a metallic type color that is really no more difficult to spray than any other metallic.

And in a basecoat clear coat "bc/cc" system, metallics are no big deal. Shooting a single stage "SS" metallic, WHOA there buddy, now that is a challenge.

Brian
Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Last photo:

The color I painted my 34 is "deep molten red pearl". I watched the tech at our local PPG jobber mix up the gallon cans of it for me. He added two types of pearl and between those two types he used an entire bottle of pearl per gallon. In bright sunlight you can most definitely see the pearl.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 02-15-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

Vince, that is a beautiful car! Man I love those model 40s. On the pearl, yes "pearl" is an additive a "toner" added to the color just as all the other colors in the "recipe" are added to create a color. Not that long ago there were no pearls at all (or one or two) in a mixing bank. These days the "metallic" toners have largely been replaced with "pearls". They are effectively doing the same thing.

My point was it isn't a "Three stage" as a "Pearl" paint job was in the past.

Brian
Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Vince, that is a beautiful car! Man I love those model 40s.
My point was it isn't a "Three stage" as a "Pearl" paint job was in the past.
Brian
Thanks Brian, yes it's a base and clear (2 stage)....lots of base $$$$ and lots of clear $$$$$$.

Vince
Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar130
so to paint the entire car with a pearl, there would be the base coat, the pearl coat, then the clear ?

i want to paint the entire car but in steps and in pieces. Meaning say the fenders, then the hood, then the trunk lid and so forth. (not on all the same day)
Is this an acceptable method ?
Metallic paints are more advanced than solids and pearls are more advanced than metallics. That is because as you gain experience you will better be able to apply paint with the steadiness, for lack of a better term, to get an even coat.

An easy thing to screw up is that you'll get something that looks like tiger stripes because you apply the paint heavier at the middle of where each pass sprays the body panel. Solids are easier because this effect is not as apparent, with metallics and pearls you're actually applying a sorta translucent coat, so the thickness and even-ness matter a lot more than solids.

I doubt anyone with the experience to do pearls would do it any way other than painting the entire car at once. You may be able to get away with it on solids, but even then it's preferred to do the whole car at once. You can literally have a door that's one shade of your color sitting right next to a fender that's a completely different shade. Paint batches may be mixed differently or solids might settle or you might even move your spray gun at a different speed.

If you do 3 stage, you might be able to base coat the panels seperately. Someone will have to speak to doing multi-stage painting on different days, I have stuck with single stage painting and didn't pay attention, but I think that doing the base coat on different days and coming back later for pearl then clearcoat might mean you'll have to wet sand between your base coat and later stages. And that can also depend on what paint system you're using too.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Last photo:

The 34 in the picture was painted in pieces over a span of about a month. All pieces matched perfectly, and I am by no means an expert painter.

Vince
Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
All pieces matched perfectly, and I am by no means an expert painter.
Vince
You are now
Old 02-15-2008, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
The 34 in the picture was painted in pieces over a span of about a month. All pieces matched perfectly, and I am by no means an expert painter.

Vince
Honestly? You are either unbelievably lucky, or you REALLY thought about it a LOT and made it happen. I see MANY experianced painters who don't pull that off! GOOD JOB!!

Brian
Old 02-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

HOLEY MOLLEY that is beautiful.. love YOUR color !!

Actually I have a pickup and not enough space to remove that bed, fenders, hood, tailgate and lay them all out to spray them all at the same time.
I am thinking of using a 2008 Jeep color, Red Rock Crystal Pearl.
Being a newbie, am i wrong in thinking it will be ok to paint the parts on different days ?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:17 AM

Last journal entry: Here is the car after paint
Last photo:

This car I had painted, black base, 1st coat of clear had violet pearl in it then 3 more coats of clear. The pearl was weighted before it was put in the clear so if there was any problems it would be an easy match. I put a deep scratch in the door and it was impossible to get it matched. My next car will be a factory mix paint.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 47chevy; 02-16-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 02-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Honestly? You are either unbelievably lucky, or you REALLY thought about it a LOT and made it happen. I see MANY experianced painters who don't pull that off! GOOD JOB!!

Brian
It really was not that big of a deal. I did have access to a professional paint booth and an old pro for advice. BarryK also solved a few problems I had early on also. During the painting process I ran out of the first gallon of mixed paint. Got a second and third and mixed them together. I was afraid they would not match. I had already painted my fenders, running boards, grill shell, and cut in the doors and jambs. I used the new gallons first on my gas tank cover to check the color match in direct sunlight and was good to go.

This is the picure I took after painting my gas tank cover to check the match with the rear fenders.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 02-16-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.