Pearl paint recommendations - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pearl paint recommendations

I fooled around with painting the very first time. I painted a whit base coat of nason, yellow spies hecker, gold pearl and then spies hecker clear coat. It came out decent for my first time but the pearl looks like tiger stripes. Can you recommend some tips or something else I can do to help prevent the streaking.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

tiger striping is all in the painter sorry to say..takes good gun adjustment and practice so you get it on even..lot of the guys shoot from 3-4 inches away from the panel and lap every pass 50% to get it down nice..

Sam
Old 02-02-2009, 08:57 PM

I know it's the painter (me) lol. but like I said I did the base coat fine, the clear coat went on good just did the pearl and came out crappy. thats why I was wondering if there were any recommendations like go slower, or mist it on or something like that. I'm gonna try to find a pearl that I can mix in with a clear I think that would be eaiser than painting straight with pearl. Unless you guys have other recommendation.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 PM

Last journal entry: Here is the car after paint
Last photo:

I know that I am not a pro painter but I did use a black base with violet pearl powder in the clear coat. It went on fairly easy and was very even. It was different colors depending on how the sunlight hit it. It was blue, purple and black.

Heres a couple of pictures and a link to the album.
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chevy%20Coupe/

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Uhh, You can't shoot pearl,powder/paste alone. It HAS to be mixed in a "carrier" of either clear or inter coat. There are pearl base paints but those are a "color" of some sort with pearl mixed in.
The inter coat would be the "choice" as you can reduce it 1:1 or 1:2,add your pearl and apply it in seperate coats just like a coat of "paint" till you get the desired effect/color you want.Using clear is fine but you'll have considerably more build per coat and possiable solvent pop if you apply too many coats at once or mix up too much pearl and have more effect than your after. Takes some test sprays or "experience" in order to know what's "enough" in the mix.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Yeah I seen HOK makes a clear that you can mix pearl in. I'll probably buy that and some powder from paintwithpearl.com I figured if I mix a gallon of pearl/clear at a time then i'll be ok on the amount. Just have to keep it mixed good. Not too sure what brand the paint he gave me but the auto paint shop said to just spray the pearl in a tri stage. It does look good but if you look at it from a low angle it is tiger stripped. But thanks that sonds good i'll get the clear from HOK and mix the pearl, then use the final clear.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavetim
I fooled around with painting the very first time. I painted a whit base coat of nason, yellow spies hecker, gold pearl and then spies hecker clear coat. It came out decent for my first time but the pearl looks like tiger stripes. Can you recommend some tips or something else I can do to help prevent the streaking.
Shooting Pearl....75-90% Overlap. Do not spray too wet!

52F1
Old 02-05-2009, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47chevy
I know that I am not a pro painter but I did use a black base with violet pearl powder in the clear coat. It went on fairly easy and was very even. It was different colors depending on how the sunlight hit it. It was blue, purple and black.
Whoa! could have fooled me! Looks like a pro job to me! I know I'd be happy with that job!

Great work!

Steve
Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 PM

Last journal entry: Here is the car after paint
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
Whoa! could have fooled me! Looks like a pro job to me! I know I'd be happy with that job!

Great work!

Steve

Thanks for the complement, but I can not take all of the credit. I had help from a professional painter. I think spaying bc/cc is about as easy as falling out of a tree. I did have to be careful when spraying the clear w/pearl to have even coverage and not have streaks.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM

What brand paint did you use?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 AM

Painting With Metal Flake

DO NOT USE PAINTWITHPEARL.COM. I made the mistake of trying some of his metal flake. IT RUINED A PAINT JOB!!!! his flake is mislabled and falsely advertised. You order one thing, think it's what you need, paint with it, and have pissed off customers because you get it in the sun and the flake changes to some messed up color that it shouldn't. PLEASE DON"T MAKE MY MISTAKE. Use a well trusted name, and a well trusted distributor. I suggest house of kolor or somebody LOCAL to your location.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavetim
I know it's the painter (me) lol. but like I said I did the base coat fine, the clear coat went on good just did the pearl and came out crappy. thats why I was wondering if there were any recommendations like go slower, or mist it on or something like that. I'm gonna try to find a pearl that I can mix in with a clear I think that would be eaiser than painting straight with pearl. Unless you guys have other recommendation.
Try a small air pressure adjusment...maybe if you use a lower pressure it might help
Sometimes paint Pearls if the pressure is slightly too high the gun wil lay on a differnet pattern at the ends of the spray pattern

Pearl is Hard Much harder than your base coat
Old 05-31-2010, 10:13 AM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpainting
DO NOT USE PAINTWITHPEARL.COM. I made the mistake of trying some of his metal flake. IT RUINED A PAINT JOB!!!! his flake is mislabled and falsely advertised. You order one thing, think it's what you need, paint with it, and have pissed off customers because you get it in the sun and the flake changes to some messed up color that it shouldn't. PLEASE DON"T MAKE MY MISTAKE. Use a well trusted name, and a well trusted distributor. I suggest house of kolor or somebody LOCAL to your location.
What you should have said is YOU ruined a paint job! NOT the flake. YOU are the quality control when you recieve a product. If it was mislabled, the wrong color ect... It is YOUR responsibility to take steps to correct it. Don't use it. You can't blame his stuff for a paint job YOUR customer didn't like. ANY painter worth a crap knows what a product will do BEFORE he puts it on a customers car. If the color was wrong it was because YOU didn't 1)communicate with your customer good enough to know what he wanted or 2) didn't listen. Did you contact the supplier before you shot it and let them know what happened. It's easy to make a mistake shipping something. Happens all the time. I bet you knew it was wrong and was under pressure to get it done and just went ahead hoping the customer would be alright with it. If you would have, say, bought red flake and recieved red flake and shot it, then 6 months later the flake fade out back to silver, then yeah, crappy product. If you shot it and it looked different outside than you thought it would, then its on YOU. Takes 2 seconds to walk out side to look at it in the container in the sun. EVERY painter I know does that. For one reason, just to look at the cool colors.

Last edited by Underground; 05-31-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 AM

X2

The person behind the spraygun is always in control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground
What you should have said is YOU ruined a paint job! NOT the flake. YOU are the quality control when you recieve a product. If it was mislabled, the wrong color ect... It is YOUR responsibility to take steps to correct it. Don't use it. You can't blame his stuff for a paint job YOUR customer didn't like. ANY painter worth a crap knows what a product will do BEFORE he puts it on a customers car. If the color was wrong it was because YOU didn't 1)communicate with your customer good enough to know what he wanted or 2) didn't listen. Did you contact the supplier before you shot it and let them know what happened. It's easy to make a mistake shipping something. Happens all the time. I bet you knew it was wrong and was under pressure to get it done and just went ahead hoping the customer would be alright with it. If you would have, say, bought red flake and recieved red flake and shot it, then 6 months later the flake fade out back to silver, then yeah, crappy product. If you shot it and it looked different outside than you thought it would, then its on YOU. Takes 2 seconds to walk out side to look at it in the container in the sun. EVERY painter I know does that. For one reason, just to look at the cool colors.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:05 PM

The people saying it was not the product's fault on this one are totally spot on! If you can't be man enough to say that YOU messed up by skipping a few steps at least don't tarnish a distributor's reputation. They are cheap and you are too, but most cheap products still get the job done. I have used some bottom of the barrel stuff before and always came out as expected. Anything that came out wrong was/has been MY fault. It happens.

Just learn from YOUR mistake/s, we all make them. Your costumers(more than 1?) should never have seen your mistakes in the first place.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.