Pearl Paint - Scuff before clear? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pearl Paint - Scuff before clear?

I've got a pearl paint job with some marbling and airbrush work under the pearl. It has been well over a week since the pearl was sprayed. My question is whether or not I should somehow scuff the surface before I start the clear. If so what should I used? If anything I was thinking a 3m scuff pad.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

Did you put any kind of clear over the pearl? If you did, you can give it a very careful sanding. If you didn't, then you will be sanding the pearl itself, and messing up the job, requiring repainting!

At this point you could do a couple things.

If it is done in urethane base coats you could...

Shoot a wet coat of midcoat clear, which has a better chance of adhesion than the topcoat clears. This is the one I would chose.

Another option is to spray a clear adhesion promoter like Dupont 222s. Be sure to start the clear coats within the promoter "time window" for good adhesion.

Next time plan a little better on your spray times. That way you avoid this kind of issue.

You might see if other painters agree before you make your choice.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Great advice thank you. And you are also right about the timing. I'll explain briefly. I live outside of Toronto about 3 hours from Buffalo (born and raised) which is where a ol' school friend of mine lives still who did this amazing airbrush/gfx job on the bike. I did the body work, prime, and base at a garage in a commercial zone. We both agree that doing clear in a garage in a residential area isn't the smartest thing to do. Not only our health but more importantly the neighbors. We had made arrangements to rent a booth but we got "stiffed". Time was running out for me to come back home and instead of driving back weeks later (concern here is the cost of gas ~$200 including tolls) to get them after being cleared I asked someone if I could rent their booth.

Again, you are absolutely right regarding planning and timing of the job, especially a pearl. Thanks again, sincerely, for the advice. I'll wait to see if there are any more posts with advice before I do. Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM

I agree with TucsonJay. You have 2 ways for paint to adhere, chemical and mechanical. You have passed the time allowed for chemical and mechanical (scuffing) will ruin the job. Best to try an adhesion promoter and hope for the best. Carefull with using this over artwork (depending on what you used for paint), some adhesion promoters are aggressive and can lift. I use a lot of 1shot paints (pinstriping and so on), and that can be tricky if you do not know how to do it correctly.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:24 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

Has this job been indoors the whole time and not exposed to the out doors or sun light? If it has this should help somewhat. Bull dog makes a good clear adhesion promoter. I would tack very well and use that if it were me and use a very thin coat of the promoter. To heavy and you can end up with orange peel in your clear coat.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Thanks to all of the replies. As with a lot of the posts on here you are in the middle of a job, have a problem, and rush to your laptop looking for an answer. So thanks again for all the quick replies given the situation.

I talked to 3 or so different shops and two other paint mixing places. They all said the same thing as everyone else on here. I then decided to call PPG directly. It was kind of cool as I got through to someone right away. He said the same exact thing. Basically I'm SOL. That and like a few other people said "hell with it. Shoot it. What's the worse that can happen?"

So I had some 6000g paper I very lightly went over it with. Cleaned it with prep and did a final wipe with a lint free cloth and distilled water, tacked it, and layed down the clear. As of now things look good. I know that doesn't mean crap but take a look at the picture in the link and you'll understand why I really don't care. This is the best paint I have ever layed down. It was all done by me and a friend from high school. Like Tin Cup said......

“Do you know why I’d still hit that shot?.... I’d hit it again because that shot was a defining moment and when a defining moment comes along you define the moment or the moment defines you.”

This paint job is one of my defining moments and peel or no peel. I'd do it all over again.

http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/ei...00486.jpg.html
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Normally with any BC/CC, you have a 24 hour window to shoot your clear. Beyond that window, you have a very good chance that the clear will peel later on down the road. When I had my '89 Silverado repainted, the guy that shot it, waited 3 days before shooting the clear on it. Two month later the clear was all peeling on the front of the truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.