Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Pearl White really that hard to repair?? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pearl-white-really-hard-repair-219015.html)

Dilbert 05-04-2012 09:12 PM

Pearl White really that hard to repair??

I have a 67 Chevelle that was painted pearl white by one of the previous owners. It wasn't the most precise paint job out there and it will need to have some body work done and be completely repainted. The pearl in it is either purple or blue...seems more purple though.

I drive my car every weekend I can and sometimes use it as a backup to my daily driver if it has an issue.

I hear that trying to paint say, a single door is a nightmare to match in white or pearl white...is that true??? If so perhaps it's time for a different color?

I've seen a couple of Cobra replicas using Toyota Indigo Ink Pearl, which I believe is a two stage paint (??) Honda Fiji Blue looks like an interesting color as well.. Would those be easier to touch up dings or just paint a panel or door and match it up?

What I want to avoid is paying for an entire paint job each time the car gets a few dings..I'd like to keep it nice enough to at least show respectably at local car shows...

The car has blue interior so black, white, and blue seem to be the main color choices I have. I want to avoid Nantucket Blue (the original color) and Marina Blue and Black...they're all so common. I like white a lot but it needs to have some pearl in it or it looks dead to me.... Same with Deepwater Blue...

So is a pearl white indeed a nightmare to touch up and blend in??? And are the Toyota and Honda colors I mentioned easier to work with???

Sorry for the rambling long post... :drunk:

oldBodyman 05-04-2012 10:15 PM

"So is a pearl white indeed a nightmare to touch up and blend in???"

In a word, YES. Even with the exact mix formula it's still a bear to exactly match even with blending.

Bryan59EC 05-05-2012 06:31 AM

I had my 66 Elky painted 97/8 Corvette Bright Blue.

Got away from all the Marina Blues--Nantucket Blues--and all of the other
blues of the era-----Different, but not too bold.

delawarebill 05-05-2012 07:56 AM

paint ??

i agree with bodyman.. u got PEARL !!!! if u were not handed the left over paint when u bought it, u'r outa luck as far as matching. if ur car has a pretty good value then a whole paint is in order. ya that sucks...

swvalcon 05-05-2012 03:19 PM

What parts do you have to paint? If its just a door you will have to either know what the color is or do a reading on it to get a paint mix. The only way you can do a match on a hard color like a pearl is to do a test panel sprayout to find your best match. Then to say paint a door you will end up painting the whole side of the car back taping on a body line and reclearing the whole side.