pearl's in paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2003, 11:20 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

pearl's in paint

Id like to ask if pearls can be applied in all base coat clear coat application's, My uncle works at a local ford dealership in the body shop, there are proboly 50 differnt types of pearl I can choose from, Do I put this in the clear?, or does it go in the base coat? or both?, Id like to have a color a little differnt and since I have access to various types of pearls I feel this is the way to go..ofcourse it wont be free, hense my need for some ideas..I like Blue, or orange for my next project, maybe even yellow..but I dont know what pearals will work with these colors or even the type of paint to use..any ideas will be appritiated..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Last photo:

Generally the pearls go in the BC, but I have heard of people adding it to the CC, haven't seen the results of this.

Vince
Old 10-13-2003, 01:09 PM

pearls

hey if you check my web page WWWart4urhog.com i will give you specific pages with pearl jobs to look at.
under bikes: white knight has pearl over entire job. it also has different shots under mural section
dragon bike -dragon is done in pearls with some on top of finished clouds
orange flame bike- has gold pearl set of flames overlayed on top of candy flame. this bike is also on flame page
flame page-black bike with flames is all green pearl on black base
blue ghost flame is all wjite pearl on solid blue
graphics page- red ghost graphic is done with red candy & pearl
northern lites job is done with pearls & candy coat ontop before final clear. this should give you a sample of what you can do. i can't emphasize enough to do multiple test panels with your base coat & progessive tape off so you see the difference with each coat you pull a peice of tape. it makes a big difference, NOT LIKE BASE COAT! keep a border taped to see original color to compare to.
mixing pearl with anything but candy or transparent type paint will mute the pearl to varied amounts. i always do base coat followed by mixing pearl or accent metalics in clear. i then follow this wet on wet with 3-6 coats of clear minimum in a thoroughly disassembled & cleaned gun. keep in mind you can NOT sand clear coat with pearl in it. you must apply a build up of clear on top to assure you don't disturb platelets. consistancy of coats & even overlaps are more critical than even candy type paints. remember about touchup factor, on paint job like this it is about impossible to match. many of the newer premixed or factory colors are using pearl base coats that may be what you are looking for ease or $ but they don't have that custom look you said you wanted. good luck jw art
Old 10-13-2003, 01:17 PM

Hey i just painted my car a few months ago, my intention was to paint it factory black, and then put some flake in the clear, well my buddy comes over and says throw some pearl in the clear, so i put pearl in my first coat of clear, it turned like a blue, the neatest color i ever seen, im not sure if pearls are meant for dark cars, but im in the process of redoing it now with glass in the clear, a lesson to be learned.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:01 PM

shaved watch your test psnels for coats recquired to get just right color you want. sometimes too much will ruin look
jwart
Old 10-14-2003, 04:08 PM

Yeah i put way too much in. its east to over do it
Old 10-14-2003, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shavedaccord
Hey i just painted my car a few months ago, my intention was to paint it factory black, and then put some flake in the clear, well my buddy comes over and says throw some pearl in the clear, so i put pearl in my first coat of clear, it turned like a blue, the neatest color i ever seen, im not sure if pearls are meant for dark cars, but im in the process of redoing it now with glass in the clear, a lesson to be learned.
Why does that happen? i mean if you leave black sitting long enough in the bucket it turns blue but if you mix it it turns back to black. I always thought that was a little weird
Old 10-15-2003, 10:14 PM

its the sedement of the all different pigments in can for any given color. ea color has a specific weight which will govern how it settles in same order all the time. if you ever left paint dry in glass you may have seen layers of color. i shoot airbrush all the time & you can see in my tray of 64 colors & plastic bottles you can see color layers. its weight+gravity=seperate layers.
jwart
Old 10-18-2003, 08:26 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Thanks for the replies, I believe Im going to use the pearls, in the CC, Ill proboly add MF, and then add pearl of the same color just to see how it looks..I just want to enhance the color without it changing to many colors.

jwart, Ill be sure to check out your site..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.