Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pennsylvania inspection law hassles?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DIY frame with donor mechanicals - PA streetlegal?

I am in the planning stages of building a V8 powered shopping cart as a promotional and parade vehicle for a local grocery store chain. Similar to the one shown in this link:
http://www.wyzb.com/upload/image/ShoppingCart_NC.jpg

I will be using the driveline (engine, trans, shaft and rear axle, front suspension, brakes, etc) from a V8 sedan or truck (depends on what I can find). One thing we are considering is how much additional work we have to go through to make this beast actually street legal. I am reviewing the rules and paperwork for PA titling and inspection. My understanding so far is even if I use the vin from the donor vehicle, if i use the open frame style of the NC cart shown above there is no way I can get it past the safety inspection. I can add lights, a windscreen, wipers, signals, etc. Does anyone have experience with a scratch-built vehicle that successfully titled and registered it in PA. We can use the vehicle strictly for parade use, but that will really limit the fun we can have with it. Thanks.