Pep Boys ATF - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pep Boys ATF

I I would like your opinion on using Pep Boys fluid in a rebuilt 4t60-E transmission

Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you spend all that money rebuilding a transmission, why would you use fluid of unknown quality.

Chet
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
If you spend all that money rebuilding a transmission, why would you use fluid of unknown quality.

My thoughts exactly, use a quality synthetic fluid and be done with it.

Vince
Old 04-01-2011, 12:19 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi
Here is the letter from Valvoline:

THOMAS R. SMITH
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
Phone: (859) 357-2766
Fax: (859) 357-7610
e-mail: trsmith@ashland.com
August 14, 2003
To Whom It May Concern:
Valvoline has received several inquiries regarding the topic of MaxLife‘ ATF and its use in various vehicles
beyond those requiring Dexron III or Mercon approved products. In response to these questions Valvoline has
issued the following statements:
• Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those requiring
Dexron III and Mercon fluids including those where the following fluids are recommended:
o GM Dexron II
o Ford Mercon V
o Allison C4
o Chrysler ATF+3“ or ATF+4“ fluids
o Toyota (and Lexus) Type T, T-III or T-IV fluids
o Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III fluids
o Hyundai
o Honda ATF-Z1 fluid (except in CVTs)
o BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids
o Nissan J-Matic Fluid
• Valvoline has conducted in-house testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions.
However, it is important to note that these vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved
MaxLife ATF.
• Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions
where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. In the unlikely event that any
transmission was to be damaged as a result of the use of MaxLife ATF, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-
Team-VAL.
While MaxLife ATF is designed to meet the special needs of higher mileage transmissions, new transmissions can
also benefit from its enhanced oxidation protection and anti-shudder protection and many consumers have chosen to
take advantage of this level of performance.
Please note that we have not done extensive testing on the new 5 and 6 speed transmissions that are now being
introduced. We would recommend contacting your Valvoline representative before using MaxLife in these
applications.
Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in continuously variable transmissions (CVT’s) or in
automatic transmissions where Ford Type F is recommended.
Sincerely,
Thom Smith
Technical Director
Valvoline Brand

Here's for pep boys 3E makes there ATF call & ask if they will give you facts, something like Valvoline did.
Rich

call 3E 800-451-8346

Norman Katz - Export & Bulk Sales Manager "The Pep Boys-Manny,Moe & Jack"
tel 305-264-0614 fax 305-264-4894
toll free USA tel 800-606-6479
Old 04-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

It is to the point that to be safe you should buy your fluids from the dealer. Of course Valvoline is going to say they endorse the use of their product. You notice at the end they stated that the OEM's do not specifically recommend their product. We are in the habit now of buying transmission fluid, antifreeze and rear end fluid from the dealer's. It about the same price as aftermarket and you know you are getting the correct stuff. Using the wrong fluid is not something that shows immediately but it can be catastrophic over time.

Chet
Old 04-01-2011, 02:14 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

T-bucket23
The only TF I would go to the dealer for is DC, Chrysler's ATF+4 (don't have to do that anymore either, found it on the shelf at auto parts dealer) if I were doing a Chrysler product. I read the whole article on the Valvoline, I've also read Red Lines & Amsoil's, OEM's do not specifically recommend their products either, yet they both exceed MFG requirements. However, it is important to note that these vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF
Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions
where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. In the unlikely event that any
transmission was to be damaged as a result of the use of MaxLife ATF, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-
Team-VAL.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:51 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Where I would be really concerned regarding the quality of automotive fluids like motor oil, ATF, brake fluid, etc. is when buying off branded fluids from convenience stores, "dollar" stores, flea markets and the like.

Counterfeiting has become a real problem in all areas of automotive parts and supplies, I would rather pay double the cost of a dollar store fluid than risk it. This isn't anything new, either. MANY years ago there were busts made that linked organised crime to counterfeiting and/or using adulterated fluids, especially ATF!

Buying from a dealership is OK, but not because I believe they have the BEST products- but I do believe their products can be trusted to be what they say they are.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Last photo:

So if you do have a trans problem and are running MaxLife ATF just how is the dealership going to determine that you have MaxLife in the trans?

Vince
Old 04-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
So if you do have a trans problem and are running MaxLife ATF just how is the dealership going to determine that you have MaxLife in the trans?

Vince
There are actually several labs that will for a reasonable fee test the oil. The dealer wont care whose it is, they just need to prove it isn't theirs to void your warranty.

Chet
Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
There are actually several labs that will for a reasonable fee test the oil. The dealer wont care whose it is, they just need to prove it isn't theirs to void your warranty.
I don't know about other cars but the new car I just bought this year has the "or equivalent" after it lists their particular fluids. I've always been under the impression that as long as it meets a certain spec called for then it's acceptable for warranty purposes.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:23 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

You don't generally have to use the manufacturer's own branded fluids. If you use something else, be prepared to show proof of purchase for fluids and filters that can is traceable to an equivalent-or-better product, in a quantity or time span that would show compliance w/the manufacturers warranty requirements.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:39 PM

Last photo:

ANY transmission fluid that claims to be an "all in one" fluid is exactly that. Usable in all, good for none of them. Put the bottle down and walk away, its not worth destroying a potentially several thousand dollar piece of equipment to save a couple $ up front. That valvoline statement is such a total crock of **** and would have zero standing in a court room.

In the case of chrysler vehicles/transmissions. If its got more than 3 forward speeds (with a few exceptions). ATF+4 only, anything else and it WILL fail. Maybe not right away but it will die a slow and painfully expensive death rest assured.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 AM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
I don't know about other cars but the new car I just bought this year has the "or equivalent" after it lists their particular fluids. I've always been under the impression that as long as it meets a certain spec called for then it's acceptable for warranty purposes.
This was to be a reply to Tbucket....

The warratny can only be voided if they can prove the ATF is why the failure occurred. The factories tried this years ago, in the 70's, to get you to buy their oil and filters but the Moss Magnusen Act stopped it. I've put on super chargers aftermarket and in order to void the warranty they had to prove it caused it. They pay rather than fight it. Here's the act. http://www.xtremediesel.com/magnuson...rrantyact.aspx
Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 AM
It's shady under this tree...

Last photo:

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Expensive, but in my opinion it's worth it.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.