perfect clear gun - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM
406C-10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

perfect clear gun

any suggestions on a good clear gun. heard alot about the iwata lph 400. the gun i use now takes orange peel to the next level.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

What gun are you using now so we know to avoid it?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

Speaking about guns, is any one using a sharpe 998 conventional HVLP and like it? What settings do you set your psi and fluid at for your liking?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

I have Sata guns but one of my guys has the iwata 400 that I have used and was happy with the way it sprayed and orange peel is not always a problem with the gun
Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 PM
406C-10

Last photo:

perfect clear gun

a friend of my got it off a Mac tool truck two years ago. as far as it being a hvlp gun. that is all i know about it. that is alot of my problems. my thing is that i am painting more cars now and i'm tired of having to go back and sand and buff.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
406C-10

Last photo:

would like to know if anybody as used the iwata lph 400 lv. so they could give me some input on it . does it spray as good as they say it does.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM

When it comes to spraying clear coats Iwata's the best(my opinion. I have an iwata w-400 i use everyday. Iv also used the lph-400 in the past and also recommend it. The absolute difference between them both is only the psi recommendation for each. The w-400(30-40psi) and the lph-400(15-17psi). They both work equally well and lay down some seriously nice clear. But i love the w-400 just because at a higher psi i get ABSOLUTELY NO! orange peel, but it does create a lot!! of overspray... When i used the lph-400 I was amazed at how smooth it lays out clear coats at such a low psi, and created almost no overspray.. I would recommend you go with the lph-400 if its gonna be your first iwata purchase, plus with the lph-400 low psi consumption you wont need a huge air compressor. But the choice is yours.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 PM
406C-10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_times
When it comes to spraying clear coats Iwata's the best(my opinion. I have an iwata w-400 i use everyday. Iv also used the lph-400 in the past and also recommend it. The absolute difference between them both is only the psi recommendation for each. The w-400(30-40psi) and the lph-400(15-17psi). They both work equally well and lay down some seriously nice clear. But i love the w-400 just because at a higher psi i get ABSOLUTELY NO! orange peel, but it does create a lot!! of overspray... When i used the lph-400 I was amazed at how smooth it lays out clear coats at such a low psi, and created almost no overspray.. I would recommend you go with the lph-400 if its gonna be your first iwata purchase, plus with the lph-400 low psi consumption you wont need a huge air compressor. But the choice is yours.
thanks for your input. i dont paint cars for a livin, but it is a side job and a good clear gun would save me some time from sanding and buffing. is the w-400 a hvlp. and will 15.8 cfm at 90psi run that gun.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 PM

yeah its an hvlp alright and at 90 psi you should have no problems. But if you want to be sure look into the LPH-400, it requires less cfm's. To be honest if your doing it as a side job, im guessing you dont have a spray booth to paint in. Im not so sure i would recommend the w-400 for you, because it creates alot of overspray from the high pressure. Exactly what does you working environment look like? How big is the shop you paint in?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 PM
406C-10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_times
yeah its an hvlp alright and at 90 psi you should have no problems. But if you want to be sure look into the LPH-400, it requires less cfm's. To be honest if your doing it as a side job, im guessing you dont have a spray booth to paint in. Im not so sure i would recommend the w-400 for you, because it creates alot of overspray from the high pressure. Exactly what does you working environment look like? How big is the shop you paint in?
thanks for the info. it is just a simple 15x20 building, which im using a box fan for exhaust. although i am going to make it into a better paint both, the money just isn't there right now. and again thanks for the info. any help is appreciated.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Last photo:

Applying clear is more of an acquired art rather than being so dependent on a particular gun. A properly adjusted HF $39 HVLP gun can produce spectacular results (see the link at the bottom of my sig). You can have a $500 gun but if you do not know how to use it it will produce orange peel.

Vince
Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 PM

Indeed! that is very true. I used to do side jobs with a $60 spray gun from auto zone. But it still doesnt hurt to have a really nice Iwata gun. I use a W-400(old model), it runs for about $350. But every cent of that is well worth it. I lay down clear with a mirror finish and spray so fast its not even funny.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 PM

Hey vince thats funny i just checked the link to your page and i just saw that you have the same iwata as i do. I bet you spray your clear with the iwata and not the HF...hahahaha
Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM

clear gun

I am an automotive paint technican at a car dealership and the gun i use for clear is a Devilbiss gfg-670 and i think it is great and orange peel is not an issue and it is complies with the new epa law.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

I agree with Vince on this one. Orange peel, paint sprayed too dry, did not flow out.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.