Performance advice wanted. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Performance advice wanted.

I am looking for some of your advice concerning getting more power from my engine.

My setup is as follows. Got a 66 GMC 3/4ton 2wd with a 72 4bolt 350 in it. It is running the Edelbrock Torker with a 650cfm edel. carb. It has the short block hugging truck style headers (gettin older and warped). Duel flowmaster 40 series (2.5 inch piping). Runs pretty strong. Has a TH350 and 4.11 Posi rear. Believed to have RV cam. Heads seem stock (i know this is where i could get a lot of power I just need to save the money).

I am thinking of getting the Moroso water pump driver kit and switching to electric fans and then dumping the seperate vbelts for a single serpentine belt system.

I am looking to build lots of low-mid power. My friend and I rebuild his 85 vette's TPI 350 and its a total screamer. I'd like to slap my gas and just be gone. I realize I will never be able to match his top end (plus my ride is fat compared to the featherweight vette).

What intake manifold would I most benefit from? What heads would be a good choice? Right now the truck is pretty quick but like most people here we have ever increasing desires for speed and power.

ANY thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dylan.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2004, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Hi Dylan.

For low and mid range power, I'd suggest a little stronger cam, somewhere in the adv. duration of 262 to 272, along with some aftermarket heads in the 180cc runner class. The Edelbrock Performer plus is a good dual plane mainfold and you might consider bumping up the carb some too. I personally prefer a good reworked Qjet on the Performer Plus manifold. Also, a properly set up HEI is a must to get the timing in early enough for good low/mid performance.

You'll gain some by changing out the fan and belts, but thats going to be pretty expensive. A high cfm dual fan kit is over $300 plus the cost of the pullies and belt change.

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have an MSD distributor, coil, and the super conductor wires.

I am going to replace my single roller timing with a double roller setup.

As far as the pullies go I am going to try and use ones off of old alternators I can get my hands on (I work at a parts store). We get soo many with great serpintine pulleys still attached.

Thanks for the info.

Any more would also still be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like the ignition is pretty much covered.

You can save some money on the heads by doing some work on them yourself. You might be able to gain 15 or so hp by doing some port matching and bowl work on some good stock heads.

I decided to give it a try on my 350 heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.