performance from a Chevy 305? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 10:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

performance from a Chevy 305?

My "350" turned out to actually be a 305. I had already cleaned it up, got an aluminum intake and quadrajet bolted on before I found out. Then didn't want it and neither did anyone else. Boat Anchor. Now I've decided that since it is not a high value engine, I may as well use it for the bracket racing I wanted to do at the strip all along. When it tears up it will be no great loss and I will have some practice on my reaction times and learned other things I need to learn about the sport. My question: Are there some cheap tricks,other than nitrous, I can do to maximize the performance of this engine (on low budget)? Maybe I should just run it like it is and save my $$$ for track food and entry fees?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

Heres a link to building up a 305;
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...cks/index.html
Guy
Old 08-29-2009, 11:33 AM

dont be fooled by th 305 misnomor it can actually turn out to be a descent engine, although not many cubes but niether was the 267,283,and 302, most of our stock engines are restrictive some how and usually cheap tricks work only so far. however you can try to gasket match the intake, remove casting flash out of intake runners, perhaps purchase a set of roller tip rockers to help free up some friction, headers and ditch the Q-jet and get something that will help breath a little better, all of this can be done your self and is under 1000$ and when it comes to engines and racing that is cheap.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

not sure how low the budget is but you need to find out what heads are on this 305, there are not many stock 305 heads that are worth a crap, if you can find a set of 416 305ho heads they aren't bad, or a set of 906 or 609 vortec heads would be even better but the vortecs would likely need to be milled down to about a 60cc (or lower) coumbustion chamber to give you a decent compression ratio wtih the vortec heads you would also need to get a vortec intake but if you check craigslist im sure you could find a used on, im not a fan of the Q-jets, personally i would go with a 600cfm holley, then if you have the funds to replace the valve train that would be my next thing

what vehicle is this 305 going in
Old 08-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,158 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger460
ditch the Q-jet and get something that will help breath a little better
This statement is irresponsible and tells me that you know nothing about a Quadrajet. It's probably the finest 4-bbl air/fuel mixing device ever to be conceived by man. Most of them were 750 CFM, but there were also some 850 CFM units made. With the Quadrajet, as with any other carburetor where the secondaries are engaged by engine vacuum, the motor gets only what it needs based on the signal to the venturis all the way to 750 CFM and that little 305 is never going to create a 750 CFM signal. I fail to see how going to a 600 CFM carburetor is going to help.

For those of you who wish to get the straight scoop on the best American 4-bbl ever built, read this book by Cliff Ruggles and learn how to tune them...
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/buy_book_2.html

This is the most intelligent statement I've read so far....
"Maybe I should just run it like it is and save my $$$ for track food and entry fees?"

Last edited by techinspector1; 08-29-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

im not a huge fan of the Qjet for high performance, it is a good carb chevy wouldn't have used them for countless years if they weren't, i know some that swear by them and can make them run like a bat outa hell
Old 08-30-2009, 07:51 AM

Ditch the 305 rods and put in some 350 rods with good bolts they are much stronger. And while your there you might just as well put some flat top hyperutectic pistons.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Quote:
Ditch the 305 rods and put in some 350 rods with good bolts they are much stronger.
Why? they are both the same lenth at 5.703. As long as he doesn`t get crazy on the revs the 305 rods will work just fine in stock form.
No reason to dump more money into a engine he don`t plan to do more than learn the basics of bracket (cough) racing.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:42 AM

I wouldn't even mess with the 305....too small of a bore and a 350 is the same price for a lot more power.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by david6chevy
Maybe I should just run it like it is and save my $$$ for track food and entry fees?
Bracket racing is about consistency, save your money for entrance fees, (and set some aside for a future build), but mainly, go practice, learn how to cut a good light, how to properly stage time after time. Learn how a deep stage or shallow stage will affect you reaction time. Leave the car in drive, let it shift itself. Try to make the car run the same way everytime. Fix any issues you might have with traction at launch to get the best 60' time you can(it wont be very spectacular).

Buy or make a log book to track your progress. Right down everything you did on that particular run, tire pressure, launch rpm, weather conditions, shift rpm, lane, all the ET info.

This will allow you to compare and decide what works best to make the car consistant, once you can make the car repeat on a regular basis, you can start to expect that you'll go further(more rounds), and possibly start getting into the trophy and money rounds.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Frmrstrracer hit it dead-on.. Do your own thing even even she is gonna run high 16s or low 17s.. At least you out there beating on her instead of running the horn on a keyboard... In brackets consistency is the key.. Let 'em sit on the line waiting for their light to cascade down and think about the fact, did he nail an 005 to 020 light and should I get a bit anxious and hammer it a bit sooner therefore resulting in a red eye... Nothing funnier than beating a new street 'Stang with 13:50 on the windows and he is sandbagging even at that.. Run yer own race and do everything the same way each time you get up to the line and stage.. Could go on and on but, enjoy yourself, there is (was) an old saying that goes like this: "Better to be a Racer for a moment than a Spectator for a life time." Enjoy the sport and take no mind at what people are quacking about.. Run your own race!!!
T.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:22 PM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:

I have an 86 silverado with a 305 in it and you would never tell it on the street. All I have is an edelbrock 600,stock intake, and hooker headers. I mean this motor breaths really good(i think). Out ran a guy in fox body mustang the other day. I heard him shift every gear but he never got close. Point is to run what you have and can afford. Im not looking to go on pinks but just to have a little fun every now and then.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:37 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

if anything you can make it similar to an L69 engine which were 305 with 190hp in the ealry 80s camaros and montes etc

bore it .030 over
mill the heads down port and polish the ports and chambers some. put in 1.94 valves and new springs, and a stock replacement 350 cam or an RV cam

it will run super strong and good but for the same work and money with a 350 or 400 and you could have an even stronger engine

yet even so i ahve done this to several 305 engines over the years including the original one in our 85 elky ss with 2004r trans it is bone stock otherwise including even the original E4ME computer and emissions and the CEL never comes on all i had to do was instal a new fuel mixture solenoid in the carb

runs super strong not like an ordinary 305

but it cost alot

but we deicded to keep it numbers matching and it is from texas and was rare here due to condition and age

some 305 even in stock form were total dogs

and then there were some that for some reason just run way stronger than the average 305

no idea why

i have had many of both over the years

so i dont dog a 305 until i see it and feel it and see how it runs

because not all of them are dogs.

good luck
Old 08-31-2009, 05:33 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I replaced my 305 with a roller vortec 406
Shane
Old 08-31-2009, 05:37 PM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:

In what?

"I replaced my 305 with a roller vortec 406
Shane"

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.