Hot Rod Forum banner

performance differnce??

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  StevenC 
#1 ·
on my 80 sbc 305 about how much hp and torq differnce would ther be between the stock carb and a edelbrock 500 carb part #1404? is it worth it for a daily driver?

same qeustion between stock maniflod and the edelbrock #2101

#3 ·
Headers, a Performer RPM manifold, and a good carb like the 1403/1404 (stick with a 4-barrel) would be a noticeable gain, and they would all bolt onto a 350 or 400 if you upgrade down the road. A cam like the Edelbrock 2102 or Summit K1102 (same cam only $40 cheaper) wouldn't hurt, either.

It's just a rough estimate, but I'd say you could pick up 60-75hp from intake/exhaust/cam. I think I have some build-up packages for a 305 printed out, so I'll look for them and try to post some for you later today.

Personally, I would skip the 305 and drop on a 350 or 400, but if I HAD to stick with the 305 I would do:

RPM manifold
Summit cam
junkyard Holley 600 carb
headers
nitrous plate, 100 shot

Then when I blew that motor I'd drop in a 400 and swap over the intake, carb, nitrous, and headers along with a proform carb body and a stouter cam... but that's just me.

#5 · (Edited)
this 305 is going in my first car so i think it will do me fine. the engine is currently all apart. im installing new rings and bearings and gaskets. while its apart im gona throw in cam shaft, timing chain, intake, carb(maybe), and headers.

just what to get... and if its really worth it over stock.

CAmshaft: summit #SUM-K1102 (since cheaper)
intake: edelbrock #2101
Timing Chain: Edelbrock #7800
headers: hooker #2451

there is a huge self serve junkyard close here, what car would have a Holley 600 carb? did they come on some cars or were they added on after? thers 100's of GM vechiles ther. how do u tell what the carb is? do they got a serial on the side?

#7 ·
if the stock carb is working good you wont notice any improvement. If stock carb is screwd up, sure itll run better with new carb... but only cause old carb was screwed up. not because Edelbrock carb is better. I agree, a good working Qjet is tough to beat on the street

#8 ·
ya the stock carb is fine other then it needs to be like re tuned. ther was snow on my driveway and when i was pulling up into the garage with no throttle the tires would spin. anyways if ther is somthing wrong with i can get a junk yard one for 20 bux :)

#12 · (Edited)
I found the Edelbrock 305 Buildup. They gained 35TQ all across the board with a manifold, headers, and cam. They used the cam i recommended, a Performer manifold (I would use a RPM instead), and small tube headers. Summit sells headers for your car for $80, the cam for $80, and the manifold for $130, although you can usually get the manifolds for $75 or so, used, on Ebay or from a local private owner. That combo would put you around 200-225HP and 245TQ... just a guess.

#14 ·
On that torque number, I hit the "7" instead of the "4". Edelbrock got 245TQ with that setup. They didn't state the HP, but I assume it's in the 200-225HP range.

Your car will probably run in the 15's in the 1/4 mile with that setup. That's not fast, but it's enough to be entertaining.

The stock 350 they tested put out 330TQ. That's why I suggested that you just get a 350 or 400 short block and bolt your accessories on. It's a direct swap, and engines are $100-$150 at the junkyard.

#16 ·
By the way, I had a '79 Camaro when I was 16-17. It had a 305/2bbl and a TH350, with highway gears.

Stock it ran a 16.5@82mph, and with a fresh short block, Summit cam, headers, Auto Zone $15 "Turbo" mufflers on straight pipes, RPM manifold, and a $20 Holley 600 it ran 15.5 @ 90mph. With a 100 shot of nitrous on top of that, it ran a 13.8 @ 102mph, but the tranny gave out after a few bottles of nitrous. Lower gears would have helped the performance, as well as taken some stress off the clutches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.