Performance Engine Parts..PEP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 03:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Performance Engine Parts..PEP

Has anyone used any of their parts? I scored a 500" Cadillac and T400 trans for $250 with only 40K on a .030 rebuild. I pulled the heads and intake and this thing is really clean inside and you can still see the cross hatch pattern in all the cylinders. Will probably just kiss it with a hone for moly rings and replace all the bearings for good measure. Just going to be a cruiser but would like to take it up to 4500K now and then.

Going to do a mild perf. build for a future project but I read that the conn rods and bolts are very questionable around 4500 rpm along with the rocker assemblys. Several of the hipo Cad outfits have several different shaft mounted rockers in varying dollar amounts. One of the web sites says that the con rods are Cast not forged, anyone have the straight scoop on that?

Anyway getting back to PEP, they sell a forged 4340 I beam rod both in bushed and pressed fit with ARP cap screw bolts for under $300. Yes, I know they are forged in China (what isn't?) but machined in the USA. So do we have any Cadillac afficienado's out there.

Advertisement

Last edited by 327NUT; 08-13-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 03:59 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Rods are cast. Fine to 4500 RPM w/resize and bolts. Crank strong as-is. Valve train is flexi-flyer. Thicker walled push rods at a minimum.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:46 AM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Only thing PEP I have used is SBC head bolts, the same bolts GM uses on the Vortec engines. They come with the outer row short bolts zinc plated to prevent rust and all come with preapplied thread sealer on them. Good value for the low cost of just $21 a full set, use them on all my SBC builds unless the owner wants to spring for ARP, no troubles with the PEP so far.

Only thing I would say about the rods is have them checked for big end roundness and correct bore sizing, just like you should with any Chinese rod. Seems like a good price.

Stock Cad rods are Cast Armasteel, just like Pontiac V8.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.