Performance Gains from Larger Valves? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 10:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Performance Gains from Larger Valves?

Hi

I have a street-driven supercharged 400 Small Block Chev, which is running standard heads with 1.94 inlet & 1.5 exhaust valves.
I have the opportunity to purchase some heads with 2.02 & 1.6 valves.

Could anyone tell me if there would be noticeable performance gains from the larger valves?

Cheers

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If your 400 has stock smogger heads (882, 624, 993, etc) now and you are going to another crappy stock smogger head but with 2.02's don't expect a lot of gain.

If you are switching from a stock smogger head to a aftermarket high performance head like say a Dart 200 or 215 Iron Eagle Platinum or RHS iron Lightning or EngineQuest EQ lightning head with big 200+cc ports with 2.02's yes you will see a big gain in power. Like night and day. These heads flow a lot lot more air than a stock GM head and have a much better combustion chamber.
What head castings do you have now?
What head are you swapping to?

More detail on your 400.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:54 AM

Current heads are original smoggers with some port work done (3973493 - 76cc).
Heads I'm looking at are also smoggers of the same era, just with bigger valves (3973487 - 75cc). They're originally from a 350, so I'd need to drill steam holes in them.

Engine is a 4-bolt 400, with nothing radical done to it (other than the blower).
It has an ARP head stud kit, Summit cam (#1105), dual valvesprings, Harland Sharp 1.6 roller rockers and stud girdle, MSD ignition.
The bottom-end is pretty much standard, just with good quality rings and bearings. This is because I don't want to invest in expensive pistons/rods/crank etc for the 400, because it's already bored to it's limit. Otherwise when it's time for a rebuild, I'd need to find another 400 so I could re-use my good parts.
I'd rather wait until it gives up, then get a new 350 block, and invest in quality parts for that, which I can re-use in future.
In saying that, I fitted the blower in 1997, so the motor is doing pretty well!!!
I nearly forgot, blower is a Weiand 6/71, with dual Holley 600 vac-sec carbs, which I'm currently rebuilding and boost referencing the power valves.

I've always wanted/planned to buy good aftermarket heads, but was gonna wait until I got a new 350 block first, which might be years away!!!
That's why I was wondering if the gain in performance is worth the trouble/expense of fitting similar heads with larger valves.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:59 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I would pass on that deal. Get some heads that really flow and are a more reliable casting.

http://aaeq.net/Enginequest/Cylinder_heads/flow_numbers

I would suggest something like their CC220BA head (also
available with a larger chamber volume)

As you can see from the chart they flow huge.

(your heads with a lil port work are likley in the 205-225cfm range.)
probabily not more than 230cfm
A smogger head with just 2.02x 1.60 valves will flow less. 195 to 210 depending on the valve job.)

And step up the cam to a Comp Cams Extreme Energy XE284H-10 pn 12-250-3 minimum.

Or if you like power, this Crane F-280-2 #114681 street/strip mechanical will wake er up
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=brows...tType=camshaft
This cam actually starts to justify using a stud girdle.

It's very hard to put too much head on a 400.

Make these changes and you'll think you bolted on an afterburner.

These EQ heads are cast in Australia I believe.

If you take care of your 400 it will out live you.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 07-19-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 AM

Thanks for the info.
(The stud girdle is only there because I got it for free )
I used to look at heads on the internet, but got frustrated finding good flowing heads with large combustion chambers. Most top quality manufacturers I looked at only really did high compression heads, although I see there are a lot more options now.
Then I think about having to drill steam holes in brand new heads , and eventually come back to the plan of building a complete new 350 engine.
And my 400 is still going strong, and making enough power as it is. I mainly use it just for cruising now anyway.
I've decided not to worry about the heads. I'll just keep an eye out for some aftermarket ones advertised for a good price, or most likely wait and splash out if I decide to build a complete new engine.
Cheers.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.