Performance heads for a 283 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2003, 02:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Performance heads for a 283

Has anyone out there used the World S/R Torquer 305 heads on their 283? I am looking to upgrade from stock, and am not all that excited about the GM Performance Parts Vortec heads mainly because I just replaced my intake with an Edelbrock and don't want to buy a Vortec style manifold. Would I be better off having a port and polish done on the stock heads and leave it at that. Please don't suggest I "trade up" to a 350. I plan on being buried with my little engine that could..............

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2003, 03:08 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Re: Performance heads for a 283

Quote:
Originally posted by 345coupe
Has anyone out there used the World S/R Torquer 305 heads on their 283? I am looking to upgrade from stock, and am not all that excited about the GM Performance Parts Vortec heads mainly because I just replaced my intake with an Edelbrock and don't want to buy a Vortec style manifold. Would I be better off having a port and polish done on the stock heads and leave it at that. Please don't suggest I "trade up" to a 350. I plan on being buried with my little engine that could..............

The S/R Torquer heads would work fine if you ask me, and would most certainly be better than porting stock heads...
Old 06-22-2003, 07:52 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Coupe, you probably know that any boring of the 283 over 40 thou causes overheating problems so I would try to stay away from 60 over. You can help the overheating by going with after market Aluminum heads. Aluminum with 60 cc combustion chambers and big valves will make it scream, but you will loose low end torque. 'Course, you want to match your valves with your Edelbrock manifold. Performer, smaller valves, RPM, bigger valves. The 283 is a fun motor, but you can screw it up and make it a dog if you don't match the parts.

Trees
Old 06-23-2003, 08:36 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by trees
Coupe, you probably know that any boring of the 283 over 40 thou causes overheating problems so I would try to stay away from 60 over. You can help the overheating by going with after market Aluminum heads. Aluminum with 60 cc combustion chambers and big valves will make it scream, but you will loose low end torque. 'Course, you want to match your valves with your Edelbrock manifold. Performer, smaller valves, RPM, bigger valves. The 283 is a fun motor, but you can screw it up and make it a dog if you don't match the parts.

Trees

Coupe, you probably know that any boring of the 283 over 40 thou causes overheating problems

I wasnt aware of this poblem with 283's, I had one and the cylinders were cone shaped and my machinest said it was the "thick" block and we bored it .080 with no problems....I wouldnt recomend doing this but at the time Id rather have just bored it to fix it rather than sleeving the block, it still runs and no heating problems...(not to mention making around 425 hp with 11.2:1 CR)
Old 06-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I had a friend, way back when, who bored his 283 out .125 to 4" and stroked it a half inch to make a 352, with 12:1. That was a biggy back in '57.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

It must have taken a lot of welding rod to increase the crank enough to get a 1/2" extra stroke !!!
Do you remember what he did for pistons and rods?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:24 PM

"...my machinest said it was the "thick" block and we bored it .080 with no problems...."

Any idea what year 283's have the "thick" blocks? '57-61 or 62-67 series?
I'm looking at a '63 that's bored 0.1 over and am wondering if it's a potential problem, or reason for selling.
Thanks
Ed
Old 10-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I have a 283 that is bored .060. No problems. It was sonic checked......good to .125 but I saved some for later.

I have bored them .125 with no problems.

Mine is a 1957 date code.

It is my understanding that the 57 to 61 283's will go .125 most of the time. The 62 up are a thinner wall casting and should be bored no more than .060.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-03-2003, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

The 327 had some very good HiPo heads that would flow all that your 283 is capable of. They are still plentiful and a lot cheaper than after market. Don't over carb it and it should run just fine. Good Luck..
Old 10-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would be willing to bet that large valve heads will not fit the 283 small bore due to clearance issues. I mean 2.02 and 1.6, but I have never tryed it. Maybe someone has tryed this...... Even if they will will work, you will not see the flow potential due to severe shrouding of the valves since they will be right up against the cylinder wall. 1.94 and 1.5 will flow all that 283 could ever need. For that matter a set of camel humps would make nice pieces for the 283.

Chris
Old 02-16-2006, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

I've run 2.02 heads on a 283 bored .125 for a 4" bore. Early fulie heads (57) were 1.94s. This makes a nice engine like the 5.0 Mustang was for years.
Some of the early 327 2bolts were identical to the 283s except the bore and crank.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:57 AM
always the hard way...

Last photo:

my 283 is .60 over and i was looking at these heads,the s/r's,but came across a set of vortecs for 250,coulndnt pass them up.the s/r's would be a good choice if you dont want to swap intakes. i left the valves at 1.94 and 1.5, plenty of flow.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:56 PM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elocke
"...my machinest said it was the "thick" block and we bored it .080 with no problems...."

Any idea what year 283's have the "thick" blocks? '57-61 or 62-67 series?
I'm looking at a '63 that's bored 0.1 over and am wondering if it's a potential problem, or reason for selling.
Thanks
Ed
if i can remember right... i think i heard that the impala and truck blocks were the thick ones. the belair/nova ones were standard ones. i scored a 283 from a 61 impala with plenty of potential from a old school hotroders stand point. he told me that i could take it to .120 over no problem. and with the vortecs i scored for $120, it would scream...
Old 02-16-2006, 11:06 PM
you lift,you lose!

Jess,
Did we both score 283s,from 61 impalas,from LAG John
Old 02-17-2006, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

from all that ive read, only 1957 283 blocks were thin walled castings. the manufacturer of the block realized mold shifting and corrected the problem for the 1958 model year by increasing cylinder wall thickness.

i have a 283 block from a 57 Bel Air (no side mounts) bored .060 over sitting in my yard. i cant give the thing away, same for the pistons. when i tore the motor down, internally it looked to have had less than 1000 miles on the rebuild.

Dale

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.