performance v.s. price - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 01:58 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

performance v.s. price

Hey guys i'm pulling a really slow third shift tonite at work and i've been looking at all different sorts of heads. I need a new set so i'm looking for the best performing head at the lowest price. I see so many of these heads like that AFR's and the brodix's to name a couple that are really expensive!!! Do they really perform that much better than say the summit street/strip head or a floo tek, or heck even the procomp's, i mean even if they do flow a little bit better is it worth the extra grand you pay for them. I've seen a lot of guys knock those pro comp heads, but the flow numbers (that i've seen) don't look much different than the "big boys". Granted some of those number could be fudged a little, but I went to the frog follies this weekend and there were a couple of vendors there advertising thier procomp heads, with the flow charts sitting right in front of them. also beside them was some dart pro1, floo tek (by TSCH), RHS's, edlebrock's, and the number's didn't look that much different, you could tell they flowed a little bit better, but not $1000 better, for what 10 horsepower mabey. I think for a guy like me they'd be fine, I'm not going for a top fuel car or nuthin, but i'd like to get the most bang for my buck (400-500hp range). Also someone told me that i wouldnd be able to run heads with a heart shaped chamber because of the domes on my pistons (KB119) is that true? anybody know? my deck is stock and rods are 5.7" gm re-con's. I guess what i'm asking is when people say you get what you pay for, are you really getting what you pay for or are you paying for a name. I can remember being in JR. highschool and not wanting to were wrangler jeans cause they weren't name brand and they came from walmart and not the mall like the rest of my spoiled friends. Even though there was nothing wrong with the jeans, the fit me great, they even looked the same as the expensive name brand jeans, but i wouldn't wear them because they didn't have that name brand tag. Now after, a wife, a newborn, a mortgage, 2 car payments, and that fricken light bill, stuff is different, wrangler is all i wear, walmart is one of my favorite store's, and i very seldom go to the expensive stores anymore. And my jeans still look and fit great. If you catch my drift, hope i didn't loose ya in that. somebody talk back, i'm bored.
Danny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 05:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonde
Hey guys i'm pulling a really slow third shift tonite at work and i've been looking at all different sorts of heads. I need a new set so i'm looking for the best performing head at the lowest price. I see so many of these heads like that AFR's and the brodix's to name a couple that are really expensive!!! Do they really perform that much better than say the summit street/strip head or a floo tek, or heck even the procomp's, i mean even if they do flow a little bit better is it worth the extra grand you pay for them. I've seen a lot of guys knock those pro comp heads, but the flow numbers (that i've seen) don't look much different than the "big boys". Granted some of those number could be fudged a little, but I went to the frog follies this weekend and there were a couple of vendors there advertising thier procomp heads, with the flow charts sitting right in front of them. also beside them was some dart pro1, floo tek (by TSCH), RHS's, edlebrock's, and the number's didn't look that much different, you could tell they flowed a little bit better, but not $1000 better, for what 10 horsepower mabey. I think for a guy like me they'd be fine, I'm not going for a top fuel car or nuthin, but i'd like to get the most bang for my buck (400-500hp range). Also someone told me that i wouldnd be able to run heads with a heart shaped chamber because of the domes on my pistons (KB119) is that true? anybody know? my deck is stock and rods are 5.7" gm re-con's. I guess what i'm asking is when people say you get what you pay for, are you really getting what you pay for or are you paying for a name. I can remember being in JR. highschool and not wanting to were wrangler jeans cause they weren't name brand and they came from walmart and not the mall like the rest of my spoiled friends. Even though there was nothing wrong with the jeans, the fit me great, they even looked the same as the expensive name brand jeans, but i wouldn't wear them because they didn't have that name brand tag. Now after, a wife, a newborn, a mortgage, 2 car payments, and that fricken light bill, stuff is different, wrangler is all i wear, walmart is one of my favorite store's, and i very seldom go to the expensive stores anymore. And my jeans still look and fit great. If you catch my drift, hope i didn't loose ya in that. somebody talk back, i'm bored.
Danny
It basically just depends on how much you want to spend & how much power you want to make. Personally I'd stay away from the ProComp stuff. I've heard and seen a few horror stories about them, mostly bad castings & some bad machining. RHS,Summit etc.. should be fine. Your old style domes wont work with Heart/kidney shaped chambers. Just check to see what style chambers they have before you buy the heads. Like below, easy to tell the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Style head chamber.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	32082   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Kidney Chamber Heads.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	32083  
Old 08-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

heads

Cylinder heads are way more involved then just flow numbers. If big flow numbers were all that was needed to make power everyone would just make a huge port on every head that they manufacturer.

The deal with the pro-comp heads is this, they are junk. If you have a set of stock cast iron production heads from the mid 70’s and just want a pair of aluminum heads to throw on an engine, then I guess for $600 they are ok. If you are looking for any type of real performance they are not the head to choose. A pair of Edelbrock’s are only a few hundred more, and while they are not a real performance head either they are a far better head.

I ran 2 sets of the pro-comps across the flow bench and they are no place close to the advertised flow numbers. Both those sets of heads are on customer engines now , one is real close to making some passes, and I am sure both the owner and I will be disappointed in the performance.

I have had a few different out of the box heads across the flow bench and the head that is the most impressive for the cost is the Dart pro 1. I have a set of the CNC version on a 434 windsor based ford engine that runs 9.7’s on all motor in a stock suspension fox body with a 9” tire. For my money one of the best values out there right now in cylinder heads.

Keith
Old 08-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

chamber design

So with my domes i can't run the "kidney shaped" chamber. Are there any heads out there that are "performance heads" that have the old shape. if so do you guys know which ones, and which one's perform the best. Should i just look for an old set of 461's and get em ported or what. I bought this motor from a guy with the dome pistons already in it, i personally would have used flat tops, but i can't really complain for what i paid for the whole motor, intake to oil pan. I dont have the money or the time with a 3 month old baby to be getting different pistons. I gotta work with what i got. Are the GM vortec heads heart shaped? anybody got any recomendations on which heads YOU would use if it was your motor and you were stuck with these pistons. BTW, the 64cc head, putting me at 11:1 would prolly be ok, i'm planin runnin about 98-102 octane anyway. I'd preferre a 67-68cc chamber (non-heart shaped) with 190-200cc intake and 70-80cc exhaust. got any idea's guys???????

sorry, i didn't mean to get 2 threads going on the same subject, anyone know how to combine them

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.