Performer AFB Carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Performer AFB Carb

Hello i am doing a carb swap on my 454 with a performer intake and headers. My 600 cfm edelbrock doesn't like being pushed and starts to cut out on hills and when i step on it.
I do not know how long the afb has sat but what should I do to prepare it or to check before I put it on the motor?
Need to know ASAP
Thankyou

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

Hello need to know more info on what your motor is such as compression ratio cam specs what your timing is set at etc. I know others with more helpful info will post here but I am trying to learn from these good people. At the start off point it seems to me your really lean off idle and I am going through the same problem with a holley 600 carb. If everything else is in good shape such as your ignition system and correct timing and if your cam is not a really radical cam it could either not be getting a big enough pump shot or may need a bigger squirter. Also check float level to make sure its alright and also make sure your air bleeds are clean and clear of any gunk as that will also give it problems like this. Also check for any vacuum leaks as it will also cause off idle leaness as well as other issues. Remember start with the simple first and only do one thing at a time so as to not do too many at once and get yourself really messed up.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Not trying to pick on the OP, but right now there are at least a half dozen very recent threads here that virtually say the same thing - "My Edelbrock wont do ---" you fill in the empty space. Assuming the rest of the engine is in good shape, ignition, timing, fuel pressure, compression and other mechanicals, you will have to read and understand the Edelbrock owner's manual for that carb, copies of which are on line if yours is lost. That 454 is a large engine and that 600cfm carb will work just fine if you are not racing the vehicle. You do have to 'tune' the carb using one of the manufacturer's kits to operate correctly as Edelbrock manufactures it to run 'out of the box' for basic 300-350 cubic inch engines at 250-300 horse power or thereabouts - and that carb on even the smaller engines will need some work to run absolutely correct.

A Carter AFB and an Edelbrock Performer carb are, with minor differences, the same.
Chev85 (06-08-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Tune the Edelbrock or the Carter with this set of plans....
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf
Different sizes of jets and metering rods are available for each make.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
Chev85 (06-08-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

It's not your carb's fault you have too much fuel pressure!
Put a fuel regulator on it and set it for 5.5 psi.
The Following User Says Thank You to RWENUTS For This Useful Post:
Chev85 (06-08-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Fought beside and with you 92'

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

A 600 edelbrock will start it up and work to a point. It is under carbureted, a 750 would be a better choice.

I could not find where he listed fuel pump output or fuel psi. No idea why someone would assume the fuel pressure was too high.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
I could not find where he listed fuel pump output or fuel psi. No idea why someone would assume the fuel pressure was too high.
Fuel pressure is almost always too high if a fellow hasn't figured pressure into his build combination.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE My 600 cfm edelbrock doesn't like being pushed and starts to cut out on hills and when i step on it.
[/QUOTE]

The op described it right off the bat. Fuel pressure too high shows those symptoms.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
A 600 edelbrock will start it up and work to a point. It is under carbureted, a 750 would be a better choice.

The owners manual, page 5, about half way down it states that 6 psig is the max (and from my experience, 5 to 5.5 is plenty)

The 600 cfm carb is just fine for a daily driver as it atomizes fuel more efficiently. A Ford 460 had a 525 4bbl Holley in 1979 on their pick ups. If it is being raced, a 750 run at WOT will most likely be better. Heck, an out of production Q-jet with tiny primaries and huge secondaries would probably be the best choice for a DD if they weren't so dam' expensive for even a rebuilt and for most, to complicated to tune

Why does it seem that everyone "assume" that every vehicle is used as a race car 100% of the time and that bigger is always better. Many folks just need and want something that runs well with a reasonable rate of gas usage with the ability to be kicked in the butt between stop lights occasionally.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Links to manuals and rebuild/tuning info HERE.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Fought beside and with you 92'

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

in 79' what did it shift at 4k rpm.

He had headers and a intake why not let it breath and recalibrate shifts to 5k rpm.

What pump is he using? How much pressure can it make?

I can turn my fuel pressure up to 8-10 psi and it will not knock the needle off the seat. You might want to experiment and see how much it takes to knock off the needle before you blame that condition on high pressure.

He is cutting out so that is too HIGH pressure? or empty fuel bowl?

ridiculous to guess.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chev85 View Post
Hello i am doing a carb swap on my 454 with a performer intake and headers. My 600 cfm edelbrock doesn't like being pushed and starts to cut out on hills and when i step on it.
I do not know how long the afb has sat but what should I do to prepare it or to check before I put it on the motor?
Need to know ASAP
Thankyou
This sounds like the mixture is not rich enough when power is demanded.

Could be the power enrichment system in the carb isn't working. This would be the metering pistons and rods that perform the same function of adding fuel when the manifold vacuum falls before a certain point. This function is the same as the Holley power valve on those, it just gets to power enrichment a different way. Probably a decent cleaning and rebuild would solve that problem. Given the AFB uses a seperate metering piston and rod for each side I'm not yet hard over on this as the cause as the problem seems more general.

You also cannot discount that this may be related to float height in the carb, or the fuel pump starting to crap out. Again float height is seperate left to right side so to some extent I'd be surprised to see this as a common problem.
The fuel pump not keeping up to demand would be a common problem to both sides of the carb.

Question comes to mind as to what happens when you open the secondary throttles as to whether that tends to diminsh the symptoms, worsen them, or no effect?

Then of course ther is the old axium "that most carb trouble is electrial" which is to say often these problems find their root cause in the distributor, but let's stick with the fuel system for now.

I agree with others that the 600 cfm rating is small for this engine, but it should operate acceptably.

Bogie
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Start w/a new fuel filter. Chances are the carb needs rebuilt if it has sat after being used- the gaskets tend to shrink after drying out.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 PM

Alright so I rebuilt the carb and inside nothing looked out of the ordinary...
Popped it back on and seems to work fine at the moment, but still has a backfire when you sit at a stop for more than 5-10 sec's. Upgrade to new carb?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 PM

back fire? Just from sitting or when you go to take off (which I am going to assume). Edelbrocks like as much initial advance as you can give it. Could also be pump is not squirting early enough or not enough initial shot of fuel (lean backfire through the car). Is your backfire through the carb or exhaust? Make sure your timing is set correctly for your chosen parts, then set the carb. Give specs on the engine and what is your timing set at?

Tags
carb tuning, edelbrock carb

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.