performer vs rpm air-gap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 08:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

performer vs rpm air-gap

I have a 283 that has an Edelbrock Performer intake (basicily a stock replacement) What improvement if any, will I see if I run with an RPM Air Gap intake? I am running a street avenger 570 cfm

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

I asked Edelbrock a similar question and they suggested the Performer EPS for a stock replacement. I am running a 500 CFM Performer carb.

Some more information about your setup will help the others on the board. There are a lot of people here who know a lot about the 283.

The Performer RPM consistently beats other intakes in Hot Rod Magazine buildups, but they are puting them on bigger engines. Take that with a grain of salt.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:59 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

Have you thought about a Performer Air gap? On a 283, you dont need an intake that is rated at a high RPM, a Performer Air gap on a 283 should make good power to 6000-6500. The air gap will make the inlet air cooler and therefore more dense which will make more hp and torque. I have been told that you can expect around a 5-10 hp increase with an air gap manifold over a non air gap of the same style.

Adam
Old 01-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Re: performer vs rpm air-gap

Quote:
Originally posted by scott ticknor
I have a 283 that has an Edelbrock Performer intake (basicily a stock replacement) What improvement if any, will I see if I run with an RPM Air Gap intake? I am running a street avenger 570 cfm
i'd take a venture to say 8+hp, but pretty much gains at everyhwere above 2k
Old 01-09-2004, 01:12 AM

Last photo:

Unless you just really want an Air Gap, you can save some money and get a Performer RPM, they are the only difference is the GAP the runners are the same and everything and they are a lot cheaper.

Either one is plenty for a 283, you may want to look around and see if there is something out there with smaller runners.

The HP difference between the two is minor, they hyped it up (air gap) when it came out. It is a good manifold and I ran one for a while.

I think if you go from a performer to a RPM (air gap or not), you will probably lose a little bottom end and gain some up top.

How high do you rev this 283? What is it in (type and use of vehicle)? What kind of cam? Stick or automatic? What type of exhaust (headers, duals, free flowing, manifolds, etc...) All of these things come into play when choosing parts like an intake, cam, converter. If it doesn't match your intended use or compliment the other parts it will not perform like it should.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:38 PM

Okay, the rest of my engine stuff: Comp cams xe262h , headers, dual exhaust (2 1/2 in) Flowmaster 50`s slightly warmed up heads (305 HO valves 1.84 ) Hope this helps!
Old 01-10-2004, 02:19 PM

I have a manifold by Dart Equip called a cool can. It's a dual plane air gap design. I believe Edelbrock based their air gap manifolds on it. It has really long narrow runners. I had mine on a 350 but it would probably work well on anything small displacement with the high velocity runner design, and they used to be cheaper than Edelbrocks. Got mine from Jeg's but don't know if they are still available. Might want to look into it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.