Permatex epoxy (all metal) gas tank. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Permatex epoxy (all metal) gas tank.

ok, so my buddy had a crack/hole in his gas tank (1995 geo prizm) his car died out front of my other buddys house while I was there. I told em we'll go down to walmart n get some jbweld n fixer up temporarily. Went to walmart...no jb weld in sight...So i got some permatex 2 part metal epoxy the kind in the double syringe..some steel wool with big loops i guess a scourer.. (They had no wire brushes either) and some degreaser...I prepped his tank very good down to bare metal no road build up left... Applied 3 coats of the epoxy after each one had time to set up for 30 mins. waited 3 hours of the 4 hours it said..

I did a few tests on stuff that wasnt metal and this stuff is pretty strong.. I glued 2 32 miller bottles together and it took a butload of force to get em apart. Also glued the cap onto one bottle, Couldnt get it off at all...the package said resists MOST solvents and holds up to 1400 psi or summin..
Also glued a quarter to the sidewalk so we can watch crackheads pass by and try to pick it up.

Anyway, I told him i did this for a temporary fix to get him home and that he sould definately get a new gas tank next pay check. (but i was reading last night, and seen you guys say that radiator shops can solder it.... so im gonna have to tell him that, it'll be way cheaper)

*Really though, how long does this stuff hold up?*

It seemed strong as heck, hardly could get it off the beer box i used to mix it on after it all cured. Also soaked some of the leftover in gas, no sign of desoilving or weakening. I kinda wanna tell him drive it till it leaks again, but fixing that tank is a small price to pay compared to a burnt up car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 07:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if it turned into a grey goop after mixing, it is the same stuff sold for $10 at auto parts stores as Gas tank repair kits, which is an epoxy and a small peice of fiberglass cloth. My brother uses Quick Steel and PC-11 Marine Epoxy for gas tank repairs. I have yet to repair a tank on any of my car's.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

Yep, in the syringe it's black and white. When mixed its grey almost looks metallic and hard as hell. Could Probably drill and tap it if need be, thats how hard it got.
One of the reasons I went to walmart instead of a parts house was the price, I figured it would be around 7-8 bux for a fix @ A.Z. or Kragen. But walmart I was able to get degreaser, steel chore boy scouring pads, and the epoxy all for under 9 bucks

There was this one stuff in a single tube (putty stuff) said marine use and worked for gas...But I was reluctant to buy it. I was thinking along the lines of how epoxy primer works...They dont put it in single cans because once its mixed/activated it begins its curing process and I didnt see how the heck they could do that in a single tube without it drying up if it was to ever cure...But I guess they could seperate the core with another substance to seperate part a and b...anythings possible.

It's probably still goin good, I haven't heard from my buddy about it yet...So that means its not leakin agian most likely.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
It's probably still goin good, I haven't heard from my buddy about it yet...So that means its not leakin agian most likely.

Or else he didn't make it home yet.....

In a while, Chet.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Another product that I think Permatex makes, is the gas tank leak repair kit that looks like two Tootsie rolls - one brown and one gray... You knead the two together and shmush it into the pin-hole leak and it sets up hard.. It even sticks to an area that's wet with gas. Back when I had my old 53 tank in place, it saved my butt a time or two.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:33 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

I've used Seal-All to patch a gas tank before. Resists petroleum products so you can plug a hole in a full tank

I've also used JB Weld to patch a hole in my old cop car where some a cop had hit something with it and put a dent in the oil pan I scraped off what looked like some RTV & some other sealant and put the JB Weld on 'er when I was changing the oil. No more leak

I just glued the plastic arm of my computer chair back together with JB Weld yesterday, but I don't expect that to hold-will let you know.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Lol chet, I followed him home that night just to make sure nothing happened.

Ill keep those other types seal all and tootsie roll lookin permatex in mind if I have to choose from a bunch of products. Me and my 2 buddies musta stood in the aisle 10-20 minutes reading labels trying to figure out which one we thought would be the best.

Lol novaman, I broke the arm off my computer chair too couple years ago, but I took a different approach... I removed the whole seat part and replaced it with a bucket car seat from a dodge dynasty, comfy! Adjustable, redneck rocking barkalounger
Old 10-02-2006, 08:05 PM

epoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fast65Elky
Yep, in the syringe it's black and white. When mixed its grey almost looks metallic and hard as hell. Could Probably drill and tap it if need be, thats how hard it got.
One of the reasons I went to walmart instead of a parts house was the price, I figured it would be around 7-8 bux for a fix @ A.Z. or Kragen. But walmart I was able to get degreaser, steel chore boy scouring pads, and the epoxy all for under 9 bucks

There was this one stuff in a single tube (putty stuff) said marine use and worked for gas...But I was reluctant to buy it. I was thinking along the lines of how epoxy primer works...They dont put it in single cans because once its mixed/activated it begins its curing process and I didnt see how the heck they could do that in a single tube without it drying up if it was to ever cure...But I guess they could seperate the core with another substance to seperate part a and b...anythings possible.

i did a tank 5 months ago (epoxy)and it is still holding. i applied it in three coats (withplenty of cure time between coats). the other stuff (one part) works as well. it may not last as long.
keith
Old 10-03-2006, 02:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fast65Elky

the PC-11 marine epoxy works also. to activate it you just neade it, just like the quick steel, except it holds up under water.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.