Hot Rod Forum banner

Personal Restraints for PUs?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  bullheimer 
#1 ·
I was driving down the highway and had to lock em up' as a car's tire blew out in front of me and slammed on his breakes without going into center divide, there were cars to the left of me. I realized that if I had rearended him I would have really screwed mself up. I have the stock steering wheel and seat belt in my 56' chevy truck. What have other people put in their trucks(for trucks only)in terms of a safer restraint system. I was thinking of a shoulder seat belt with pretensioner, but I was hoping for something a little more asthetic, for there is no plastic trim to hide it under, and then I thought Simpson 4 or 5 point. But really I just want something to help keep my steering wheel from crushing my skull during an accident.

#3 ·
I dont know about the seat, as long as the harness isnt bolted to the seat. Because it will be the harness that holds me back not the seat. So as long as the seat doesnt come unbolted and fly through the windshield, ouch!

#5 ·
I dont know if you want to put new seats in it or not, but we sell a bucket seat that has an integrated 3 point safety belt system in the seat. The seat has been fully tested and meets all government standards for a 3 point restraint system. The seat comes with all the proper hardware to securely bolt the seat in the truck. They are offered in a 19" or 21" width.

Shawn Krist
kristkustoms@comcast.net

#6 ·
schroth harnesses (sold here by hms motorsports) are considered the top-of-the-line street harnesses... 3-point, (dual shoulder straps in a y configuration/lap belt) or 4-point, with pushbutton release stnadard tongue locks. they make bolt-in generic belts which will fit almost anything, with a litle welding/fabricating. it's what our Blazer has for the driver's seat. take a look, you can find them online i don't remember where.. they're not exactly inconspicuous, and not exactly easy to move around with, and not exactly cheap, but they do keep you veery securely in one place. your call whether they're for you.
-z-
as long as the belt's mounting points are solid, the seat doesn't bear your weight in a head-on.

[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: steppenwolf ]</p>

#7 ·
I plan on for my '49 chevy is find a set from a newer model full size. The seats in my 2000 GMC are the bench type with the center arm rest. It seems like the seat belts are all contained in the seat assembly. I have really measured it or anything like that but it should work. I hope! :(
:D

#8 ·
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, HOHOHOHOHOHOHO, HEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEE!! MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!! OUR TRUCKS' GOT NOTHIN THAT EVEN RESEMBLES BRAKES!(stock) THE THOUGHT OF THAT STEERING WHEEL HEADING STRAIGHT FOR MY HEART IN A WRECK PROMPTED ME TO BUY A 5 PT HARNESS FROM RJS, AND LOSE THE CENTER HARNESS. TWO BOLT HOLES in the cab BEHIND YOUR SHOULDER BLADES WITH FENDER WASHERSis all you need. the truck came-i think- with places to attach the belts behind them on the floor, a u-shaped bolt job. i'm sure yours has them, and i hooked the belts to them with chain links. they are alittle bit of a pain in the *** , esp. when you move the seat to look behind it, cause the metal clips get stuck in the seat brackets when you put the seat back but at least you will feel and be, safer! but... since i got 4 wheel disc brakes and can stop now, AND since i forgot to make the holes for the shoulder harnesses in my new carpet and felt that i lined the back of the cab with, i am no longer using the shoulder harnesses anyway. i do have a collapsible steering shaft too, but i guess if i biff it i will be bouncing my head off the steering wheel also!! but at least they wont have to pull my body off of the steering column. i still use my original seat, btw. i also got rid of the little safety flap/cover thing that velcro's over the latch. now they are perfect, just a lap belt, but the 4 pt harness was quite compfy except in summer driving topless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.