Hot Rod Forum banner

Personalized Seat Covers

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anyone knows of a site that I can get custom seat covers made for my 1978 Buick Skylark.

I am wanting to get a nice black base with a Buick emblem in the middle for both my front and back benchs. The original seats are in good shape, slightly faded, but that is all. I want to keep them there.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

#3 ·
Automotive carpet is inexpensive and readily available online. Auto Custom Carpets CLICK HERE is one place, but there are many others. A custom fit carpet for your Skylark sells for a little over $200.

The interior work is another story. It depends on what all you want done. I would say $3000 to $4000 (including the new carpet) will get you exactly what you want. That would be a headliner, kick panels, door panels, package shelf, and seats.
Good luck.

#4 ·
Thanks alot Dan. That site really helps.
I just made a list of things that I plan to do with my car and then listed the importance.

I am going to be attempting to redo the interior altogether, but the difficult part is finding a local that is willing to do it and then settling on a reasonable price.

If I'm attempting to negotiate, what price would you say that I should aim for if I want custom seats, kick panels, liner, and all? $3000?

#5 ·
The price all depends on what you want done and what fabric you want to use. If you want to use cheap vinyl and skimp any place you can, the price will be lower. That's why you should find out EXACTLY what your upholsterer is going to do for the price he is quoting. When I re-do door panels, I'm talking about replacing the old panels and mounting clips, not using what was there. I never do that, even if they seem to be in good shape. The same thing goes for the kick panels and package shelf. When I re-do seats, I'm talking about repairing or replacing any spring problems, re-padding the seats and replacing the old seat covers. (I absolutely do not understand why any upholsterer would make new seat covers and put them over the old springs and padding.) That's the only way I do things, so I will refuse a job rather than have a customer tell anyone else that I did his crappy interior.

It's just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.