Hot Rod Forum banner

Pertronix 1181; 1181LSC; and 91181

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  smallblocker2 
#1 ·
I have searched the current posts but my question is unanswered.

I have a 73-74 camaro 350, 2bbl carb engine. Rebuilt 14 years ago with all new components in the distributor--but it is points. All is working well but I would like to convert it to electronic and have decided that the Pertronix is the simplest? and cheapest way for me to go. I will not be racing as the motor is in a '34 Mercedes 500 k replica (and a beautiful one at that). Now for the facts:

The distributor is single points, with the centrifugal advance on the top of the shaft and a round rotor. Pertronix kit 1181 will fit it but I am told on one website that the distributor must be removed and the shaft shimmed in order to install correctly. Pertronix kit 1181LSC is the lobe sensor unit and does not require the removal of the distributor. Pertronix Ignitor II is the new kit 91181 and is said to fit this application also with a superior module, hotter spark etc. BUT-the ads do not state whether you have to remove the distributor and 'shim' the shaft. I have already made the mistake of ordering the 91181 before I found out the above. Does anyone have any experience in this area and can answer my questions: That is, can I install the Ignitor II 91181 without removing the distributor and 'shimming' the shaft? Would I be better off, sending back or selling the 91181 and just order the 1181SLC ?

Any help appreciated. harv

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to Hotrodders, we are glad to have you with us. :welcome: This forum is for introductions only...Please place your question in the appropiate Tech forum and it will be seen by those with the answers. The distributer question should go under Electrical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.