Pertronix 1181; 1181LSC; and 91181 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 02:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pertronix 1181; 1181LSC; and 91181

I have searched the current posts but my question is unanswered.

I have a 73-74 camaro 350, 2bbl carb engine. Rebuilt 14 years ago with all new components in the distributor--but it is points. All is working well but I would like to convert it to electronic and have decided that the Pertronix is the simplest? and cheapest way for me to go. I will not be racing as the motor is in a '34 Mercedes 500 k replica (and a beautiful one at that). Now for the facts:

The distributor is single points, with the centrifugal advance on the top of the shaft and a round rotor. Pertronix kit 1181 will fit it but I am told on one website that the distributor must be removed and the shaft shimmed in order to install correctly. Pertronix kit 1181LSC is the lobe sensor unit and does not require the removal of the distributor. Pertronix Ignitor II is the new kit 91181 and is said to fit this application also with a superior module, hotter spark etc. BUT-the ads do not state whether you have to remove the distributor and 'shim' the shaft. I have already made the mistake of ordering the 91181 before I found out the above. Does anyone have any experience in this area and can answer my questions: That is, can I install the Ignitor II 91181 without removing the distributor and 'shimming' the shaft? Would I be better off, sending back or selling the 91181 and just order the 1181SLC ?

Any help appreciated. harv

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

DO NOT buy an 1181!. You have to remove the distributor and fiddle around with washer shims for a rotating wheel under the top plate. You can never get it to rotate evenly above the sensor mounted on the base plate. I had one wheel warp and it caused massive backfires.

I have an 1181LSC which is easy to install. The only problem will be that it requires a constant 12v. Your current system starts on 12v, but then drops down to 6-8v when running. Your harness should have a resistor wire for this. This is not a major problem. All you have to do is trace the resistor wire back to the exterior fuse block and remove the resistor wire connector from the block. Then, just run a regular wire to the distributor.

I don't have any experience with the Ignitor II.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

I just changed the order to the LSC. My ignition wire is currently coming off of my interior fuse block. I am not sure where the resistor wire starts. Can I just unplug the present wire from the interior fuse block and then make a new wire to carry 12 volts directly to the coil? Also, what do I do with the R wire coming off of the starter solonoid? Also, there is an external condenser coming off the hot side of the coil which I assume is noise suppressor? Do I leave it? Meanwhile thanks for the good advice. Harvey
Old 01-08-2006, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

Which Wires to discard

Before my conversion to pertronics (not yet received) 1181lsc and Flamethrower coil, I need to determine which wires to discard that are on my current coil. There are three going to the positive terminal of the coil. A yellow and purple? wire twisted together from the wiring harness, and a Black wire that goes to the ballast resister on the coil bracket. Then on the negative side is a black wire going to the distributor, and a brown? one going back to the wiring harness.
I know there are only two on the ignitor, the red one for the pos. coil and the blake one for the neg coil.
And I have to bring a fresh 12 volt from the ignition (will take it from the fuse block in the car as a separate wire.
Butttttt what do I do with the others?? Especially, do I keep the ballast resistor? Anyhow let me know. Thanks, rapsag
Old 01-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

The Pertronix comes with wiring diagrams. There will be two wires instead of the current one wire coming from the distributor. The only other wire you need to be concerned with is the resistor wire, which I believe comes from the ignition switch. I would leave the other wires connected as they are now.

If you have a ceramic ballast resistor now, apparently someone in the past has removed the resistor wire. You do not need it. Bypass/remove the ballast resistor and route that wire straight to the coil.

A good wiring schematic will be very helpful, now and in the future.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:11 PM
~Low Budget Baby~

Last photo:

awesome product easy to install they have really really idiot proof directions! you'll notice some seat in the pants too
Old 01-10-2006, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Gm Hei

Why don't you just use a GM HEI? I just got one for my 68, 327. New in the box 50,000 volt one on Ebay for $75.00. The coil is built in and hook up is one wire from ignition and one from the tach. What could be simpler.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2600
The Pertronix comes with wiring diagrams. There will be two wires instead of the current one wire coming from the distributor. The only other wire you need to be concerned with is the resistor wire, which I believe comes from the ignition switch. I would leave the other wires connected as they are now.

If you have a ceramic ballast resistor now, apparently someone in the past has removed the resistor wire. You do not need it. Bypass/remove the ballast resistor and route that wire straight to the coil.

A good wiring schematic will be very helpful, now and in the future.
It is not a ceramic ballast, but looks to me like a condensor. The coil bracket actually has a place for it. I will just remove it with the old coil. rapsag
Old 01-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsag
It is not a ceramic ballast, but looks to me like a condensor. The coil bracket actually has a place for it. I will just remove it with the old coil. rapsag

Doc here,

What you describe as a Ballast resistor, sounds more like an RFI suppression Cap to me..

Ballast Resistors are usually ceramic, Or about a 1 by 3 inch metal box, or may be the wire lead itself..You may not have a Ballast at all...

Doc
Old 01-11-2006, 06:30 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Raps, call Bob Soucy at 1-800-556-1365. He is a Pertronix distributor that had years of ignition repair/rebuild before getting into the sales end of the business. He will answer any and all your questions.

Trees
Old 01-11-2006, 08:49 PM

Yup, them PerTronix Ignitor things are one of the best products I have ever seen, at least, for me.

So far, in 15 years of custom small body HEI invention, development and construction, I have quite a collection of them Pertronix Ignitors, all blown up, all in a number of 55 gallon barrels. Just over 1,600 of them.

One day, a pal of mine says he wants to melt all of them down into one giant Ignitor ball. What for, I have no clue. His was one of the first 20 I removed.

We all do know that the PerTronix was called the Per-Lux before it got its new name, designed for farm and industrial equipment and not updated for cars.

I remove more defective, blown up and just don't run right PerTronix Ignitors than Mallory Unilite, Comp-U-Fire, Breakerless and Crane XRi combined.

Yup, them PerTronix Ignitor things are one of the best products I have ever seen, at least, for me.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionMan

So far, in 15 years of custom small body HEI invention, development and construction, I have quite a collection of them Pertronix Ignitors, all blown up, all in a number of 55 gallon barrels. Just over 1,600 of them.

One day, a pal of mine says he wants to melt all of them down into one giant Ignitor ball. What for, I have no clue. His was one of the first 20 I removed.

We all do know that the PerTronix was called the Per-Lux before it got its new name, designed for farm and industrial equipment and not updated for cars.

I remove more defective, blown up and just don't run right PerTronix Ignitors than Mallory Unilite, Comp-U-Fire, Breakerless and Crane XRi combined.

So, how many sets of burned out points have you removed in the same period? Why are there also so many happy Pertronics users, on this thread. What do you advise instead?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:22 AM

Hilarious, just plain hilarious.

Points are supposed to wear out and most will burn up.

Electronics are supposed to NOT do that, except for the really junk PerTronix crud that isn't worth a plug nickle.

What is far, far better? Well...a real, live HEI system in the stock points distributor, that's what.

PerTronix Ignitors are NOT HEI, but actually, TCBI (transistor controlled breakerless inductive). TCBI DOES NOT function at higher ooutput levels than a points system with a brand new set of points on their first fire-off, there just aren't dwell extender drivers in TCBI systems to drive the coil harder, NO MATTER THE COIL USED.

I don't expect you to believe anything that you don't read in some mega dollar over hyped ad in some misleading magazine, as you seem to only follow the lemmings about ignition systems, that all electronic ones are HEI output level, high performance. Wrong.

I think my friend needs to make his giant all melted together PerTronix Ignitor ball for me, and then we can go stealth one night, late at night, to the front door of PerTronix, and roll the ball up to the door and leave it there. Who knows, maybe they will warrantee that big ball of Ignitor junk, once again, as almost all of them were warrantee replacements to begin with.

Like I siad, PerTronix been berry, berry good to me!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionMan

Doc here,

HAH! ... I figured out your Friend's method to his madness...

He's Going to Melt them all down into one great "Ignitor Ball" and on New Years EVE..Drag it to Times square Stick it up on a big pole..and countdown to midnight...10..9..8..7..6..5...4..3..2...........

Perhaps a tribute to the Only time the igniter fired..

Does Ron Popiel (<--Sp) own an interest in that firm? ...

For ONLY $29.95 you get the Famous Ron Popiel Ignitor system..But WAIT..

That's NOT all..

If you are among the first 100 Callers to our 1~800 line..you will also receive our custom 50 mile towing package..AT no additional charge..a $49.95 Value!

Get your order in today!!!

In all fairness, all joking aside..SOME perfectly good ones Slide by QC and find their way to the general public...(I mean..Even a Drunken Squirrel Can find a nut in a forrest...)and those folks are Very happy with them..

The BEST upgrade for your car, I agree with Ignitionman..Is a Stock HEI system..Almost bulletproof, reliable, Will last forever if properly maintained, and you can get parts TESTED and replaced over the Counter without membership in, or possession Of, an Annie Oakley Secret Decoder ring..

Your not racing The Car, as you said earlier, So for a weekend warrior, or Grocery Getter..Why not? It's cheaper and easier to work with...Besides..Ignitionman is getting just too rich...

Just my thoughts and "Bent" humor (I mean, If we all couldn't laugh...Politicians would be unemployed).....

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 01-12-2006 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Cuz...I can..Bumbling Bigthumitis...
Old 01-12-2006, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

Well Doc and Ignition Man,
Your points are well taken. If I had that much experience, I would not be posting questions on this board. However, as a retired Doc, I have built a 62 Healey replica with a '78 ford 302 engine (built it from block up). It had a Ford breakerless ignition module which never failed me in 10 yrs, and 28k miles.
However, the current car is a show beauty that I bought recently, and I have no experience with changover from points to electronic. I just decided on the pertronix because of the simplicity and invisibility of the change. I do take some short range trips in the car and would not like to be stranded. Would I be better off leaving the points alone? (they are cheap to replace). Or will the pertronix (properly installed) do for me. I do not need performance, just reliability. I am perfectly willing to go the HEI route if that would be the most reliable route, as I can always sell the pertronix unit on the net.
I am listening. rapsag
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burled wood dash.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	9182   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	9183   Click image for larger version

Name:	side view.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	9184  

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.