Pete & Jakes 32 Rear Suspension Kit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pete & Jakes 32 Rear Suspension Kit

Has anyone used this setup and if so how did it work. I am looking to do something for the rear of my 32 and this seems to be a cheap enough fix. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve

http://www.peteandjakes.com/parts/32/32_coilshock.htm

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Pretty much a standard type rear suspension, sold by them and many others.

I have basically the same under my 32 roadster and my 32 3W coupe but I use coil springs instead of coil overs ... easier to adjust the ride height and change spring rates. Little more fabricating for the builder ... but well worth the effort IMHO.

Lots of 32 to 34 Fords have that P&J style system and like it.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Pete & Jakes also sells, or at least they used to, a transverse spring / ladder bar kit that was not all that expensive. I will be installing one on my deuce frame in a couple weeks. It's a bit more traditional than the coil over suspension but when I was there and picked it up they claimed that it rides very well.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Pete & Jakes also sells, or at least they used to, a transverse spring / ladder bar kit that was not all that expensive. I will be installing one on my deuce frame in a couple weeks. It's a bit more traditional than the coil over suspension but when I was there and picked it up they claimed that it rides very well.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$

I think what I have now is a Pete & Jakes Wishbone rear setup. The problem is that the shocks bottom out and I get a big bang when driving down the road and hit any type of bump. That's why I figured to use some type of coil setup, whether coil over or just plain coils. I thought that this setup was really inexpensive and would possibly cure my problem.

Steve
Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Pretty much a standard type rear suspension, sold by them and many others.

I have basically the same under my 32 roadster and my 32 3W coupe but I use coil springs instead of coil overs ... easier to adjust the ride height and change spring rates. Little more fabricating for the builder ... but well worth the effort IMHO.

Lots of 32 to 34 Fords have that P&J style system and like it.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Deuce,

I still have the photo's of your setup. Still thinking about it also. Yours would require me pulling the body off of the frame, which I may do anyway. Thanks for the input.

Steve
Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflog
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yours would require me pulling the body off of the frame, which I may do anyway.
Not much $$$
I had the body off anyway.

Your BUMP ... may be from the rear end hitting the frame rails ...

I have to notch the rails on my 32 ... to keep that from happening. And my coupe does not sit real, real low like some.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

"Not much $$$
I had the body off anyway.

Your BUMP ... may be from the rear end hitting the frame rails ..."

You are correct, that was part of my problem before. It would hit the snubbers and also the top right side stud on the rear housing was ripping the sheet metal. I got the stud problem cured and to try to cure the axle problem I bought a set of 33/34 axle snubbers. I cut them down and installed them. I can see where they do hit on occasion but this thing will bottom out at the slightest bump. On top of that, if I load the trunk I don't get the bang at all. I think it is mainly the shock package and the way this thing was put together. The shocks seem to be compressed to far when sitting on the ground and don't give suspension enough distance to work without bottoming out.

I still may go with your setup but I am not as good at welding and making some of the necessary attactments that you are good at. Would take me longer simply because I am a novice at this and just a copier of ideas. ie, your setup.

Steve

PS By the way, what did you use to fill the roof?? I cut the roof out of a Mercury Linx. I knew it needed a crown and flat sheet metal doesn't give that. I talked to a guy in Washington about his. He had welded in just flat metal and it held water.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
PS By the way, what did you use to fill the roof??
I would NEVER fill a roof on a 32 ...
I used a piece of thin veneer as a panel and will cover it will the Mercedes Hartz cloth.

There is a guy on eBay would sells a 32 3W roof filler ... ( one photo shows a 34 )

He is here

http://stores.ebay.com/Walden-Speed-Shop-LLC

A friend has used them a few times and is very pleased ( and he is a picky son of a gun too ) .

Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

I got real tired of getting wet when it rained. The insert on my car was an aftermarket unit and it did not fit that well. They did not use the original devices to hold the insert in. They had to drill new holes approximately 1/2" outside the original stamped groove and then pop riveted the channel to the top of the roof. I liked the look of the full roof so I decided to go with it.

Steve
Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
I got real tired of getting wet when it rained. The insert on my car was an aftermarket unit and it did not fit that well. They did not use the original devices to hold the insert in.
Steve
Mine still had the original top in it ... with all the original trim and little moldings So I am in good shape ... I have a friend with a steel 32 3W that was filled back in the 50's and we used my car as a guide and made a fake cloth top cover for his. Looks original but has the advantage of being filled.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.