Pfaff 545 service manual help... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 03:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pfaff 545 service manual help...

I'm looking for service manual for my pfaff 545 to check the timing and overall adjustments because it skips stitches now and again.

I can only find a service manual on pfaff's website for a 1245. Does anyone know if the hook and needle timing measurements are the same, or if I can just go off the 1245 specs? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Yes, you can use the 1245 manual. The 1245 is a new and improved version of the 545. Timing is very basic. The hook needs to go past the scarf in the needle in time to pickup the thread.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Dan. I went through some of the adjustments in the 1245 manual and adjusted the hook and needle timing and it helped. The the hook was passing through the center of the needle to high and skipping a stitch sometimes, especially at higher speeds. Also adjusted the feed dog height because it was rubbing the underside of the needle plate just slightly. It seems to be sewing very smooth now. Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Pfaff 545 timing

Keep in mind that there are two needle systems for the 145, 545 and 1245. If the machine is an H3, it will take a 134/35 needle. If it is an H4 machine it will take a 190R needle. The H3 machines have a dual spring bar across the top of the machine. The H4 machines do not.

That could be why the hook was in the middle of the eye. The 190R needle is longer than the 134/35.

The timing is the same, just remember to adjust your stitch length to 0 before timing and adjust it back to sew. This is as critical as the measurements.

Steve M
Tampa
Old 11-03-2010, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

The machine is an H4, so your correct that is uses the 190R needles. The 1245 manual worked fine for me, although I don't remember it saying to adjust the stitch length to 0 first. I will have to double check that, but it sews great now. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Watch the fore and aft position of the needle as you shorten the stitch length. The needle bar moves towards the back of the machine. My guess is that you need to time the machine in Neutral or the shortest stitch length.

Steve M
Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 PM

There is a timing tool that amounts to a needle bar clamp and a series of feeler gauges. It's been awhile since I have used one, but I believe it is 6.0 mm. We would often use our fingernail and move the needle bar up about the thickness of a Nickel, from the bottom of the stroke.

Steve M
Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 AM

Timing gauge

I ran across the part numbers for the timing tool.
The gauges are 61-111-600-01
The clamp is 61-111-600-35

Here is a link for a parts manual for the 545. It will give you all of the Pfaff part numbers.

http://unlimited.marginspluslive.com...20subclass.pdf

Steve M
Old 11-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM

545 pfaff timming

i have a 545 pfaff too if i timeing it bring the neddle down all the way down on the upstroke the hook has to be 1/16 on top of the needle hole to ajust this their are two screws on the underside of the of the machine on the hook bar you have to loosen so the hook moves freely jerry got it covered
Old 09-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Pfaff sewing machines are the best in the business, outside of Adler. Why do I say that? Adler machines have 1/2" main shafts, and all other machines have 3/8" main shafts (both German machines,..... imagine my shock) But,....... any true industrial sewing machine in the hands of a professional upholsterer, and not used at full speed 24 hours a day in an industrial setting, will last forever. These machines were made to sew 3000 stitches a minute 24 hours a
day. The Consew 226- R that I use for almost all my sewing is over 40 years old. The next 5 generations of my family will still be using this machine, and it will perform flawlessly, with only reasonable basic maintenance. There is nothing the average part time, or full time for that matter, upholsterer can do to screw up any industrial sewing machine.

The point is that if you're only sewing one or two interiors, or less than that, you can invest in any good industrial machine and sell it for almost what you paid for it, or make a profit. Maybe not in this economy, but definitely in the long run.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM

Timing a Pfaff 545, Consew 226, Singer 111W and Juki LU-563

Adjust stitch length to zero (no feeding).
Turn handwheel to place needle in lowest position.
When needle is raised 2.5mm above lowest position (in sewing direction), hook point should be directly behind needle.

After setting hook timing, check that there is .1mm clearance between hook and needle.

After setting hook timing, adjust needle bar so that when hook point is directly behind needle, the hook point is 1.6mm above needle eye.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 PM

Does anyone here know how to replace the needle bar on a pfaff 545. I was told that it is rare that the bar fails. There is nobody in my area that services sewing machines. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I have all the manuals with the parts brake down.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yes, it's extremely rare a needle bar will break. I had to replace the needle bar on my Consew 226 because I broke the screw off that holds the needle in place.

Before you do anything, mark where the present needle bar is located at each attaching point on your machine. This will give you a good starting point when you install the new one.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Replacing needle bar

You will need to slide the needle bar down, so you will need to remove the feed dog and the plate that prevents the needle bar from moving from side to side. You simply loosen the screw that holds the needle bar in place and slide it out. Immediately put the new needle bar in making sure that the bushing that holds the needle bar has not flipped over. Making sure that the timing is set properly, adjust the needle bar so that when the hook point is directly behind the needle, the hook point is 1.6 mm above needle eye.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.