Phantom Flames - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 10:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Phantom Flames

Can anyone tell me how to paint Phantom Flames. I heard I can put Pearl in the clear. I want them to be almost not noticeable till the light hits it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 03:39 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

The hardest part is trusting that you have "wisped" enough pearl etc. into your flame "field"...Spray at the mask and let overspray drift over and lightly handle the magic kinda sorta..
Here is a Honda that has been base coated with PPG's DBU base color. DBU uses a reative reducer that really cures the base to a workable/manageable tough even "satin" surface that is easy to sand inperfections for dusting in a little more color prior to clearing or as in this case tape work . PPG's DCD35 clear with it's fastest DFX-11 hardner was used for the pearl mix as well as the following 3 coats after pulling the masking to seal the deal.Check this thread to see the whole project-->http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=1714

Last edited by milo; 08-05-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Nice job milo.

Question I have is HOW did you attatch that THIN plastic sheeting around the flame's?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:39 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Hi Bee4me, That car was a lot of fun since it wasn't a pressure/money thing it allowed for some experimenting.

Useing the green fine line tape to outline the flames was a first step. Then the plastic covered the whole car. Starting at the flame tips a new sharp razor blade cut the plastic with enough pressure to cut half way into the tape making a little grouve in the tape that ever so gently held the plastic there. Then it was retaped following the now exposed half tape edge. It was a surprize that such a light touch could hold it there. Static cling was also helping...

If I had it to do again I would have double taped the flame out line so when the cut in the plastic was made with a razor blade there would be more "cushion" protecting the base color since there were a couple places that i ran out of luck or talent and it did leave a mark. It was a lot of fun and a case where money would have spoiled the day..

Next was spraying a mix of the powdered pearl mixed into clear. Again if doing the same project over I would have stepped back a bit....fogged on even less clear/pearl. less is better and beliving that's enough is something to remember.

Last edited by milo; 08-05-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Thanks milo, We are always looking for a better masking mousetrap. It's cool that Ma Nature helped out as THAT was the big question I had was how it held itself in place while outline cutting the flames as that plastic is SO flimsy and cutting it is a problem and keeping a sharp blade as well. Yeah, Cutting to the bone sucks and using the blue fine line helps as it's a little thicker than the crape tape or at least take's a "hit" better usually IMO. Taking a break often helps with the cut thru as you don't realize it hurrying or getting bored how much extra pressure your applying sometimes.
My other concern would be how well the plastic held up to the overspray close to the tape line?
I guess with doing a ghost it was minimal anyway, Not quite the build like a regular flame job. Guess you could "insurance" that area with some additional taping if need be.
Appreciate it, Mike.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:16 AM

Clear ro Paint

Do I a spray a base caost of color, than clear it, let it dry, wet sand it, mask off for the flames, mix pearl in with clear, spray flame, wet sand again, then reclear the whole thing. I that how they are applied?
Old 08-06-2005, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

Apply your main color then mask for flames, mix some pearl into an intercoat clear and spray the flames, unmask and clear the whole car.

Or you can spray your main color and clear either with an intercoat clear, or regular topcoat urethane clear-which would then need to be sanded/scuffed. Then apply your flames and clear complete.

Keeping the main color clean during the flame masking process can be tough as basecoat can be hard to clean without creating damage- putting a coat or two of intercoat clear over the base color will give you some protection and a much easier surface to clean. The same can be done with a urethane clear but you'll need to sand and scuff it prior to applying the flames and the final clear.

I wouldn't sand the flames much at all, the thin layer of clear with pearl shouldn't create much of a mask line IMO, especially if you use an intercoat clear. Hope this made sense, Bob
Old 08-07-2005, 07:56 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the help. Anyone ever heard of adding pearl to the paint to make flames

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.