Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - phosphoric acid based rust dissolver
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

phosphoric acid based rust dissolver

I've been stripping paint and rust this weekend and got to using the rust dissolver I bought last week. It works like magic but I can't seem the get the metal clean afterwards. I rinse the metal but when dry there is a streaky yellow/orange coating (streaking especially from rusted spots but covering everywhere).

I can sand through it easily enough when dry to reveal the shiny bare metal, but the solution is supposed to leave some kind of a coating to prevent immediate corrosion so I don't want to sand through this coating as I won't be painting it right away.

I just can't believe it is supposed to look like it does. It really looks terrible.

I have read through the thread 'the secrets of surface rust removal', and my metal doesn't look as clean as those pictures when I'm done.

What should the metal look like after using a phosphoric acid based rust dissolver? How do I get it clean?

Also, how clean does the metal have to be before epoxy primer? I am sanding using a DA and by hand, then using the rust dissolver. It's a lot of work, and the surface is clean, shiny and smooth, with some black pitted areas left after the rust dissolver. With enough hours I'm sure I can get it perfectly spotlessly clean, but when is enough enough?

I hope someone can help.

Rich