Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - phosphoric acid based rust dissolver
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I don't want to get bitten, that happened to me once already which is why I'm doing this one myself.

I have an all original '59 VW Beetle that is my daily driver and I had it stripped and painted about two years ago. Within a year the rust started bubbling up under the paint. I couldn't believe it!

Now that I'm stripping the Chevy, I am learning just how much work it is to get every little bit of rust and paint stripped. It's hours and hours of work, and I'm getting to know every little nook and cranny of that body like the back of my hand.

So I'm not looking for shortcuts because I think shortcuts are the reason I have to strip down the VW again as soon as the Chevy can take over the daily driving for a while.

I managed to sand off the yellow coating left by the rust remover from the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was indeed providing at least some measure of protection. The bare untreated parts start rusting again after two days exposure to the sea air here in Cape Town, maybe less, but under that ugly streaky yellow coating was shiny metal.

So, I think I'm going to end up reapplying a few more times to take care of the heavily pitted areas, but I should be ready for primer before too long.

I am sure I won't regret all the hard work I'm putting in now when I still have a spotless paint job five years down the road.

Thanks all for the input!