Photo Editing: Shop Talk - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Photo Editing: Shop Talk

**Comments and criticism welcome and much appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You have some very clean images, tack sharp for sure. Any reason you'd want to remove the color out of them?, have you tried different levels using the histogram for a nice clean product shot? Adobe also has lightroom version 3 is what they are at now, a ton of presets that can do just about anything, from B&W film to real HDR from a single jpg.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Thanks Only Racing!

I was doing some late night editing and thought I'd would try the "film efefct" feature", along with a few other filters on the top two shots (carburetor and valve covers with gaskets). The results reminded me of the faded pictures I sometimes come across in very old car magazines. So I stayed with it and posted them here to see what others thought of it. The third one is essentialy the "threshold" filter. I saw that and thought about how car parts would look if they were ever hand-drawn like in order children's books or even comics.

As to the histogram, never messed with it, but if you have any tips, I'm all years. In order to use Lightroom, does one need to have Photoshop?

Thanks for tips Only Racing!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Thanks Only Racing!

I was doing some late night editing and thought I'd would try the "film efefct" feature", along with a few other filters on the top two shots (carburetor and valve covers with gaskets). The results reminded me of the faded pictures I sometimes come across in very old car magazines. So I stayed with it and posted them here to see what others thought of it. The third one is essentialy the "threshold" filter. I saw that and thought about how car parts would look if they were ever hand-drawn like in order children's books or even comics.

As to the histogram, never messed with it, but if you have any tips, I'm all years. In order to use Lightroom, does one need to have Photoshop?

Thanks for tips Only Racing!
The standard filters are pretty good in PS, I have found that before you actually apply a filter you can adjust the levels a bit better in the histogram showing lights and darks to add some distinct contrast to the color separation. Then apply the filter on another layer and use different blend modes, there are quite a few options depending on colors, like screen for lightness, dodge, burn, multiply and so on which will enhance the effect of the filter.

Also, Lightroom is stand alone and presets are pretty much free from many people, the best investment I've made for sure. If you have kids that are in college or school you get a massive 80% discount through the educational store online.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Depending on which version of PS you have, there are actions available at the Adobe exchange where people create actions and drop them in to share, some cost money and I wouldn't bother with those, the free ones are good and may even perform the process you need or want. Keep in mind, any action is processor intensive just like filters with large images. Make sure you set some space for the "Scratch disk" in the preferances. If you have dual drives, set it to the secondary drive to be the scratch disk,and if power is still a problem allocate 55% memory only also in the perferances.

What I do like about Lightroom is the fact I can import batch images with a preset and go from there, again very processor intensive when working with large images, it's in both 32 bit and 64 bit. The more speed you have in memory and processor, the quicker things go. I'd add some links to some of the effects that lightroom can produce but there are alot, even faux HDR in one click, not quite as good a say topaz or others of that caliber, but making that carb image an HDR would be awesome and lightroom will allow you to do it with a Jpeg image.

Do a search for best lightroom presets, stay away from pay for presets, they simply are a mock up of a free one they found. I like Matt's Killer Tips for great presets.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:16 AM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Racing
The standard filters are pretty good in PS, I have found that before you actually apply a filter you can adjust the levels a bit better in the histogram showing lights and darks to add some distinct contrast to the color separation. Then apply the filter on another layer and use different blend modes, there are quite a few options depending on colors, like screen for lightness, dodge, burn, multiply and so on which will enhance the effect of the filter.

Also, Lightroom is stand alone and presets are pretty much free from many people, the best investment I've made for sure. If you have kids that are in college or school you get a massive 80% discount through the educational store online.
I've heared many good things about Lightroom but always thought it was an add-on to Photoshop. 80% is a bargain! I'll definitely look into that. I will admit that I'm not too big a fan of editing so I'm gonna have to force myself to practice practice practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Racing
Depending on which version of PS you have, there are actions available at the Adobe exchange where people create actions and drop them in to share, some cost money and I wouldn't bother with those, the free ones are good and may even perform the process you need or want. Keep in mind, any action is processor intensive just like filters with large images. Make sure you set some space for the "Scratch disk" in the preferances. If you have dual drives, set it to the secondary drive to be the scratch disk,and if power is still a problem allocate 55% memory only also in the perferances.

What I do like about Lightroom is the fact I can import batch images with a preset and go from there, again very processor intensive when working with large images, it's in both 32 bit and 64 bit. The more speed you have in memory and processor, the quicker things go. I'd add some links to some of the effects that lightroom can produce but there are alot, even faux HDR in one click, not quite as good a say topaz or others of that caliber, but making that carb image an HDR would be awesome and lightroom will allow you to do it with a Jpeg image.

Do a search for best lightroom presets, stay away from pay for presets, they simply are a mock up of a free one they found. I like Matt's Killer Tips for great presets.
These sound like very handy features. I gotta make sure my computer is up to specs. I don't recall the processor speed off-hand but it has dual Xenon processors. I'll check and post back. Thanks for all the help and tips. Thanks to you, I have new-found motivation!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

You should have no problem with either program, both are processor intensive but anything higher than a standard single core and minimal 1 gig of memory with a 7,200RPM hard drive will be quick enough. PS and lightroom both like memory, if using vista, you can actually add a memory stick into a usb port and it will use it as memory.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:59 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Moe, a simple sample of what Photoshop can do with a picture and a girl for a flyer. Nothing amazing or fancy here other than that is exactly how the car was shot other than blowing in the windows I think is all I did, this car has been seen and downloaded over 6 million times from my understanding. This was for The Orlando World Street Nationals 2010.

See attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedworld-flyer.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	54236  

Tags
amateur photography, automtoive photography, computer technology, photography, photoshop

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.