Photo Enforced Intersections - Legal Theft - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Photo Enforced Intersections - Legal Theft

So....... I was driving home yesterday after working 13 hours and coming through this town, I approached a stop light with someone on my rear. The light turned yellow and I was stepping hard on the brakes when I looked in my mirror and seen the car behind me was not slowing down much. I decided to step on it and just as I did, the light turned red just as I crossed the threshold and I seen the flash of the camera's. I'm just waiting for a ticket to show up in the mail for a moving violation. I avoided a possible wreck by going through the intersection but I know I will pay the price instead of the person behind me following too close. I think this crap is nothing but a legal theft of our money. These things should be outlawed and taken out. They don't ticket the driver, they ticket whoever's name the registration comes back to on the vehicle. That's like someone taking one of my guns and committing a crime. I can see them interested in me because the gun is issued in my name but they have to prove it was me that committed the crime before I can be punished. Anyone else have similar story & thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Hmmm ... If they have your plate, you're pretty much guaranteed a summons (ticket).

You basically have three choices (at least by Canadian law)
1.) Go to court, plead "not guilty" and tell your story to the judge.
2.) Plead guilty and send them a check without having a court appearance.
3.) Go to court, but ask to see the court clerk. You'll still be pleading guilty, but he may have the discretion to reduce the fine (probably 50%) in light of the circumstances. They do that here in Alberta in order to ease the caseload for the Judge.

Good Luck
Old 08-05-2012, 11:03 PM

Ya red light cameras are a joke, I make sure i pack lots of snow on my plate in the winter.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

This is not going to be the popular opinion.
If you stop for red lights, you will not get tickets for running them. So you are being tailgated, you slow down.

Yea, you probably cranky and tired after working 13 hours. Your reaction time is probably a little slow because of that. Another reason to slow down.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
Hmmm ... If they have your plate, you're pretty much guaranteed a summons (ticket).

You basically have three choices (at least by Canadian law)
1.) Go to court, plead "not guilty" and tell your story to the judge.
2.) Plead guilty and send them a check without having a court appearance.
3.) Go to court, but ask to see the court clerk. You'll still be pleading guilty, but he may have the discretion to reduce the fine (probably 50%) in light of the circumstances. They do that here in Alberta in order to ease the caseload for the Judge.

Good Luck
Yup......Just got back from your fair province Don.....The other day, I received a letter....Photo radar in Spruce Grove (suburb of Edmonton). Seems, they caught me for 78 in a 60 km...$113......Not too impressed. Makes me wonder if I had Alberta plates, whether I would have gotten it?...They know I cant fight it.....lol

Budget RVs
Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Really the Pits
Last photo:

I give you the Sixth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

How can the confrontation clause work with a camera?

This is probably going to start a big fight, but I am sorry. We hotrodders more than anyone else should be cognizant of the slow erosion of the rights our forefathers fought and died for. Start questioning these things that we are told to just accept.

I will step down from my soapbox now.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

So you can google or even know in your head parts of the constitution. Good job.

Ever since they started to put traffic lights in, green means you can go, yellow means it is going to change to red, and red means stop.
Now pay attention, Red means somebody else has a green light. It is no longer your turn.
When I have a green light, I have a reasonable expectation that the cross traffic has stopped.

I do not want to be T-boned because some hotrodder, or kid driving a lowered Honda, or even some bus driver trying to stay on schedule thinks they can charge through yellow lights.

And I certainly do not want to have to pay the taxes needed to put a live person policing every stop light in existence.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Yup......Just got back from your fair province Don.....The other day, I received a letter....Photo radar in Spruce Grove (suburb of Edmonton). Seems, they caught me for 78 in a 60 km...$113......Not too impressed. Makes me wonder if I had Alberta plates, whether I would have gotten it?...They know I cant fight it.....lol
Oh yeah, Alberta plates definitely woud have gotten it. (Ask me how I know. LOL)

Now I don't know if things have changed since I was a kid growing up in Saskatchewan or not, but there were people that never paid out-of-province tickets as a warrant can only be issued in the province in which the summons was written.

That being said, let's just consider what happens if you were to ever return to that province and get pulled over for another moving violation. An arrest warrant goes into effect immediately, and you are taken into custody ... not to be released until the fine (and possible penalties) are paid.

And I doubt they would take a check ...
Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Thats the thing...dont want to take that chance, and with the way things are today, may reflect on my license here too....dont need that grief.Paid it online. plus $6 to cover costs of course, $113 isnt enough for them.....lol

Budget RVs
Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

After being hit by a driver trying to make the light years ago, and several close calls since then, I'm probably not too sympathetic. I always look before going when my light turns green now, and have avoided numerous people who ran the red light and would have hit me.
I hate red light cameras, but if they make people think twice about running red lights, then I understand their function. It's not just about giving tickets, it's about making people less likely to run lights and cause accidents.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Last photo:

Since moving to the North Texas area when we are in Plano and I am sitting at a red light when it changes to green for me to go. I have gotten in the habit of looking both ways before crossing the intersection. Running red lights in Plano seems to me to be a Yuppie pastime.

Vince
Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

Coming To A City Near You!!!!
Check out this link guys!
Not only will they get you for running the light but also for being too loud while doing it.
They'll perfect up here then go worldwide.
Calgary launches the "Noise Snare"... - Canadian Rodder Hot Rod Community Forum
Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

Another good reason for me to stay out of Alberta, besides my sister in law.......

Budget RVs
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Really the Pits
Last photo:

I am not saying to run red lights.

And, it does not follow that traffic cameras equal safe intersections. I give you the OP as an example.

I am saying that, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Usually attributed to Benjamin Franklin but most probably from an unknown person quoted by Franklin.)

We have raised a generation of people who believe the world owes them something. Furthermore, they have no respect for anyone. From this, they believe they can do whatever they want. Instead of eroding our rights, we should be teaching Civics in school instead of how to put a condom on a cucumber.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Cameras are all about revenue and the fact that cities can't or won't hire enough officers to enforce the law. I don't make a habit of running lights or even speeding. The money for a fine is not the issue here, it's the principle. People better wake up and notice that our rights and liberties are being taken away and we are allowing it. There is only one word for what is happening to the USA, communism. I don't know about other overseas countries but I have been to China and you can't walk down the street without being videotaped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.