Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Photos of Main Bearings
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink View Post
I rub off the cosmetic tin flash overlay to expose the lead/tin layer. The flash overlay is an electroplated layer of tin on new bearings that only serves as a dry lubricant during assembly. Some bearing manufacturers calls it a "sliding layer" on their tri-metal bearings. Instead of using Scotch Bright, you can also dip the bearings in lacquer thinner and wipe them with a micro-fiber towel.
Mouse fink How old are you? If your a woman don't tell me LOL.
We old farts called it a "slide coat" And if we needed a .001 or .002 we would use a bearing scraper (if needed) and then emery and Crocas cloth them so all bearing inserts had the same crank clearance!!!! Its funny you knew that not too many people do it any more and I haven't heard "Slide Layer" in many years!

Years ago blueprinting was more precise maybe because of better machining today? I try to set all my clearances precise.I don't like .001" on one and variations on the rest The crank never touches the inserts during running conditions anyway the oil pressure holds the crank off the inserts and centers it. like you said its a dry lube for inserting and removing the crank dry when miking and crank rotation dry during assembly. But some people think the crank rides right on the inserts LOL. On good blue prints you may assemble and disassemble many times while measuring and setting clearances and you don't want oil and sticky lubes on everything.

You made a really good post

Jester