Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Photos of Main Bearings
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON MILLER View Post
.Anyone who says those are ok berings don't get it.
I think what was being inferred was YES, the bearings are worn, but worn in a more or less normal manner. Not that these bearings and crank were OK to be put back into service.

Anyway, it is customary practice where I come from to measure the crank and check the saddles and go from there. Resizing the rods should be a given, considering the stock rod hardware should be replaced w/ARP.

IMO the crank need turned, that can be seen from the photo. So new bearings are a given. Whether the saddles check out or not remains to be seen. It wouldn't surprise me if the crank bore needed honing. I seriously doubt it needs bored first.

Jester: ALL I use plastigage for is as a check just to be sure things still look OK before final assembly. It is not accurate enough to use in place of actual measurement tools. I hadn't seen that article before- makes you wonder! But if it's going to be wrong, it will always show less clearance, not more. This happens when the crank gets turned a little or the rod big end gets pushed down against the crank w/the plastigage in place, flattening it more than it should be.

Last edited by cobalt327; 12-11-2012 at 07:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
painted jester (12-11-2012)