Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Photos of Main Bearings
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevroletSS View Post
I always had 60 psi at start up everytime and never had any start up problems. I dont know, now Im thinkin about just junkin this crank and just makin this a 377. Actually ill keep the crank for a later project cause it looks good. I cant see any wear. But do I need to have this block line honed. I dont think I do. I guess ill need to mic it to make sure. Anyone know where to get a good cheap mic??

You need to have it checked!!! Or if you have a machinists long straight edge and good feeler gauges you can get a good Idea if its straight or not at home. There may be nothing wrong with the block? we are all just making good guesses LOL! We cant tell you if you need a line bore or not from a computer!
Maybe all the worn inserts had real tight oil clearance and the better ones had max oil clearance putting them further away from the crank, or some debree was under a few during assembly, maybe the good ones had just a little more coating then the rest, maybe at one time just your good looking inserts were changed during an inspection in the past or if there was a problem and the others were left alone because they checked ok etc, etc!

Check the pawn shops for tools a lot of machinists retire or upgrade and you can find them there!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 12-12-2012 at 12:01 PM.