Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Photos of Main Bearings
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevroletSS View Post
Let me ask this. When your getting a block machined or just planning on rebuilding one do you have to have it line honed or does the block need checked for any other clearences. Just asking to see what you all will say compared to what my machinist said. Have a feeling Im gonna be p i s s e d. Think Im gonna need to go somewhere else.
I would expect the machinist to bore, deck and square the block like you asked him to do. Then if you wanted the saddles checked, he should be able to say whether they're OK as-is, or if they need honing, or if they need bored first. But a lot depends on what you have instructed him to do.

This is probably better answered by a machinist, but I'll take a stab at it:

You get a line hone if the saddles are close but not perfect. It's done routinely by many machinists for high performance builds to assure a good foundation. There are MANY little nuances to this as far as how much material is removed from the caps, chamfering the bores, mounting an oil pump (or part of one) to the rear main cap, etc. So I don't want to make it sound like it's a total no-brainer to do.

You would only get a line bore (followed by honing) if the saddles were out more than a little. This requires good equipment and a good operator w/a good touch. It may be easier/cheaper to get another block to use if the one you have needed line bored.

As far as do you HAVE to hone it? Often no, you don't. If the block is only going to be used as a street engine w/a mild build, as long as the saddles are reasonably close you can use it as-is. Not an ideal situation, but everything you do adds to the cost and you have to draw the line somewhere, else you'll end up w/a production block that will cost nearly what an aftermarket block would cost.

So what did he say and what are your concerns?