Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Photos of Main Bearings
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevroletSS View Post
I was just curious cause I took my 73 chevy 350 block (which is not the block I took the crank stated above out of) to the machine shop which was the first time I ever been there but herd alot of good things about it. Here is the deal. I called him up one day and told him I have 4 chevy blocks and 8 pairs of heads and two intakes that I want to do some trading for some block work. He said well bring up what u got and Ill look at it. I took it all up there and he said we can work something out. He asked what its for and what I want done to it. I said its a street/strip build. If it needs bored do it 30 over which he said it does. also I didnt have the main caps so he said he would give me some and line hone it. Also first thing he is gonna inspect it, magnaflux it for cracks. I told him I wanted him to square it up and deck the block. I think thats all I told him, cant remember it was over two months ago. Someone told me on my 355 engine build thread that he should of told me to have the pistons I was going to use with the block when I dropped it off. I asked hime that if he bored it over .030 could I just buy .030 pistons and use them he said yes. Also I said can I buy stock main bearings and not have to do any measurments. He said when Im done you can buy standard size everything except .030 pistons and install them with no problem. Someone said he is full of s h i t. So Im thinkin I traded parts for block work thats gonna have to be re checked after I get it What you guys think. Keep in mind guys and bare with me that this is my first performance build so I kinda went into it diving right into it asking more than knowing.

Thanks Guys...

ChevroletSS
Ask him if the work is guarnteed. If so you may have to trust him. I would like to say things are always perfect but alot of the time even F'ed up work will still run strong and last a while. But of course it could have lasted longer if the work is done right. At some point in every build you just have to slap it together. If not you will spend too much time trying to make everything perfect in a street motor its not worth the effort.