Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Photos of Main Bearings
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevroletSS View Post
He asked what its for and what I want done to it. I said its a street/strip build. If it needs bored do it 30 over which he said it does. also I didnt have the main caps so he said he would give me some and line hone it. Also first thing he is gonna inspect it, magnaflux it for cracks. I told him I wanted him to square it up and deck the block. I think thats all I told him, cant remember it was over two months ago. Someone told me on my 355 engine build thread that he should of told me to have the pistons I was going to use with the block when I dropped it off. I asked hime that if he bored it over .030 could I just buy .030 pistons and use them he said yes.
The piston to bore clearance will need to be checked to be sure it's OK. He really should have had the pistons before doing the final hone, though. That said, you're prob. gonna be OK, as long as you buy the kind of pistons he honed it for- cast/hyper pistons are fitted closer than forged pistons.

Quote:
Also I said can I buy stock main bearings and not have to do any measurments. He said when Im done you can buy standard size everything except .030 pistons and install them with no problem.
Unless you are getting a new crank or a polished used crank, you cannot use standard bearings.

He might have meant that you can install the crank w/the right undersize bearings and it will fit. Or it might just be a polished crank. There will be a big difference in the cost of polishing as opposed to turning.

Quote:
Also guys I had one of the main bearings I took off the crank I been talking about that was not copper colored and its been sittin since last friday and I just checked it out and there was a puddle of oil sitting in the center of the bearing and where the puddle is the bearing turned copper. It was all silver colored before. So does oil cause the coating to wear off and turn copper???
No. If the oil was acidic enough it could dissolve the plating if it's zinc, tin, or something like that. But uncontaminated oil will not touch it.

My turn.

Out of the 4 blocks you traded him, there wasn't one that could be bored 0.030" over that had all the caps?

BTW, you will be awfully lucky to get by w/just a main hone if he's replacing all the caps.