Picked up a "new" compressor and torch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2006, 09:43 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Picked up a "new" compressor and torch

I saw in the easy ad someone had a compressor for sale. Turns out it is a harvesting company going out of business and they are selling all their equipment. I picked up a Campbell Huasfeld 7 hp 60 gallon extreme duty compressor, 240 volt, a cutting torch set with tanks, (they transfered tank ownership to me, and they had just picked up a new set...so they are full), 3 lawson bins with all the products in them (two of them are the cubby hole type about 4 foot tall and the other is the sliding draws with compartments about 5 foot tall) and the miscellaneous shaped steel. All for $500. I think I got a good deal? Do you? (I do have 240 in my garage.)

Here is a pic of the compressor and cutting torch in my garage. The compressor should not be as noisy as my oil-less compressor. I know it works cause I turned it on before I bought it. It also came with a 3/4" ID flex hose, water seperator and oiler.

Advertisement

Last edited by gator412; 05-19-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Don't you know stealing is ILLEGAL!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Good for you! It shows that when you follow up on that "wild goose chase" sometimes it is more than worth all the disappointments.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

hahahaha...you guys are funny. The fact is it was hard to get hold of the guy and I just kept trying. I really wanted to replace my oilless compressor and I ended up with a great find. They have a bunch of other stuff, but I don't think I could talk my wife into it. I am going to "replumb" my garage for the compressor. If you look on the wall by the door you can see my "mini" plumbing system. My oilless put out so much water I had to try something. It did reduce the water output. But with the new compressor I will put up about 30 feet of galvanized pipe. Keep an eye out I will draw up the design, post it and let you guys tear it apart.

Oh yea...my wife bought me a hose reel a few weeks back... cause she loves me ...or wants me to stay in the garage more....mmmm...let me get back to you on that one
Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

... or maybe she wants you to stay closer to home! I hope you rewarded her appropriately for that hose reel!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

I think you are right Home Brew...I do work alot..hot dog she do love me...I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:15 PM

It's nice to see a hard working guy get a deal, good for you.

Not to change the subject, just a couple tips, which I might have told you before, old age, I can't remember to well I guess.

Anyway, unless you allready know, see if you can find out if your compressor has a duty cycle, it might not, but if it does, try and adhere to it if you can, it's pretty important.

Also you mentioned 30' of pipe, if you can go 50' feet, thats what they call for.

You have a good one

Rob

http://webpages.charter.net/2manitowoc

http:www.2manitowoc.com/paintroom.html
Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

RobSS you are right with the length of piping. I have one wall to run it on and it has cabinets. So I might have to zig-zag it on that wall to get my 50' of piping. Like I said before I will draw up a plan and post it so see what you guys think. Thanks for the input everyone...any more?
Old 05-18-2006, 04:59 PM

I would go with the 3/4'' black pipe instead of galvanized, because of the galvanization it could get into your air tools, tp tools has a website, and they are pretty much the last word on air lines, and they say only use black pipe.

Also drain your filter or filters every day and check your fingers if they feel slippery, you could have a compressor problem.

I posted a bunch of this stuff a while back, see what I can find for you.

Taking your time and researching on these air lines will eliminate some big problems down the road.

Rob
Old 05-18-2006, 05:03 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres some more, I'm copying and pasteing from my old posts, so bare with me, I'm not that good with a computer, I guess you're still reading or have you heard enough, anyway.

One more thing here, you will or should have filters at the end of your hard piping, just before it goes into the rubber air hose.

I would drain them every day, heres why.

The last compressor was three years old, I go to drain the filters, and after I turned the little wing nut, I noticed my fingertips felt slippery, so I shut them off, turn the air pressure back up, get a clean white rag, crack that wing nut open and blow it into the rag, it's a little dark colored, and I put it up to my nose, and I could smell the oil.

I run three sharpe f-88 filters right in a line, I took the filters out, the little white do jobs, the first one is dark brown, second a little brown, and the third was close to white.

I have one more f-88 in the paint roon, that one is pure white, so by draining these every day I saved loading my air lines up with oil.

I changed out the compressor, also look at your instruction manual and see if it mentions a duty cycle on your compressor, if it does, I would adhere to it, ask me how I know this.

I run a large bead blaster, a pressurized and siphon sand blaster, I have fought water problems, until I almost bought an air dryer, I went with about 75 feet of 3/4'' black pipe, my water problems went away without buying an air dryer.

You allready know, by listening to you, that it takes some planning to lay all this stuff out.

Rob
Old 05-18-2006, 05:12 PM

I'm sure you saw my airlines, takeoff is off the top, and everything has a slope to it, anyway in case you didn't

http://www.2manitowoc.com/paintroom.html
Rob
Old 05-18-2006, 05:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

water will condense in the first 22' of piping, if you make a contraption of T's, pipes and elbows that makes up 22' or more, ran the pipes verticle and put a drain at the bottom, it would take care of the water problems as long as it was drained every day.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:14 PM

I'll shut up now and leave you alone.

Rob
Old 05-18-2006, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

Rob...don't shut up knowledge is POWER and I need some piping power..lol

Anyway here is the pic of my proposed piping plan. Keep in mind I am running out of wall space so I have to use what is available.

So tell me what you think guys...you to Rob

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph...cat/500/page/1

as a side note here is a couple of pics of the plastic pipe they have at school. Zoom in on the close up and you can see it is stamped 185psi @73 degrees F
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21702

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph.../cat/500/page/
Old 05-18-2006, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

Gator, Usually a zig-zag design should be avoided if possible and I think you would be better off to consider copper and use less line, you could add a cooler if you do have water problems. I see one big flaw in your in your diagram but this will be easy to correct if you do go this route, The bottom of the center loop nearest the compressor appears to include a drain but no "drop" for the water to collect in and this can cause major problems. Whatever design you decide to use should not have any spot anywhere that the collected water would be standing in the main line since it must have a place to drain into where it will not be in the air flow. If you place a "drop" at all collection points the water will have a place to drain into where the air can flow past it without picking it up. If you allow water to collect anywhere in the main line itself (including any unintended low spots) nothing will happen at first but it will soon build up to a point that it begins to restrict the air flow at which time the air will pick it up all at once and expel it in surges in large amounts not just droplets. Once the line is cleared all will seem ok for a while but the cycle starts all over again. I honestly think the zig-zag lines should be avoided if at all possible.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.