picking a new dist. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 AM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

picking a new dist.

i have a old worn out HEI distributor and im looking to buy a new one. but im torn on which one to get.

i have a mild 350sbc, 650cfm carb, rpm air gap intake, 268h cam, hooker comp headers. id like one that sends a much stronger spark and i would also like to stay with a HEI style (coil on cap).

here on the ones im thinking about

havent heard many things about this but its a trusted name
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8362/1...760090%7C10679

i read a bit about this one long time ago heard its really powerful and a good buy. but ive heard little to none about this brand.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/...749237%7C10679

just saw this one seems pretty good.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/722...764383%7C10679

i dont know much about this brand but ive heard they make a good product.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mallory/650/85...752904%7C10679

which one would be the best buy??? the engine has never seen higher then 6000rpms.

and what size plug wires are good for a powerful good spark???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

They are all good brands and depending on who you talk to you will varying info based on personal preference or experience. If you dont actually need the large cap HEI style there are several smaller cap styles that look a lot cleaner and most are 1 wire hookup. You will however need to get an external coil for one of these setups.

If you are looking for a recommendation, I would go MSD or Mallory as ignition is their primary business. Moroso sells everything and probably just re-labels most items with their brand name.

Hope this helped and didnt just add more confusion.

Chet
Old 05-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

I have had nothing but problems with those moroso durafire distributors. We have used them on two different circle track motors with brand new moroso wires and plugs that are gapped at .025-.030 which should limit the amount of stress on the ignition system. We take these motors to about 7800-8000 rpm.

The coils have burned out on both of the distributors one of them was bad right from the factory and one of them stopped working after about an hour of run time.

I am rapidly losing faith in that particular distributor. And at $200 plus you would think they would be a little better. The only saving grace will be their customer service we will see if they refund my money or give me a new coil or something. I will let you know.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
They are all good brands and depending on who you talk to you will varying info based on personal preference or experience. If you dont actually need the large cap HEI style there are several smaller cap styles that look a lot cleaner and most are 1 wire hookup. You will however need to get an external coil for one of these setups.

If you are looking for a recommendation, I would go MSD or Mallory as ignition is their primary business. Moroso sells everything and probably just re-labels most items with their brand name.

Hope this helped and didnt just add more confusion.

Chet

would i have to use an ignition box with the one wire distributors??? and can i hook up a tach to the dist??? i use my tach big time in the way i tune my car i go by what sounds and performs the best so the tach is my mine tunning tool.

i look into them for sure tho. im not in any rush to buy it but it is my next buy for the car.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

I would go with the MSD dist. an make sure an use some good plug wires so it will be able to send all the energy to the plugs. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

is there such thing as 2 big when it comes to plug wires???
Old 05-22-2008, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

8.5mm wires are about as big as you need to go. They will fit the stock GM looms too and most aftermarket.

For me, money is very tight right now so my suggestion on a good driver or mild performance dist is This one here.

I've had mine for over 2 years now and not a lick of problems. My son dumped is $200 Accel and went with this one too. So far so good.

I know, it's not made in the USA, but what is anymore? It's made in Australia and has a 4 year warrantee. Guy has very good feedback too, one neg in 4000+ sales.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mark
Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Distributor

I purchase 1 off Ebay. 65,000volt clear cap $50. Haven't had much luck with it though. Ran fine for a week or so. Now as soon as the engine gets up to operating temp it starts missing bad. Took a new stock cap off another engine but the stock rotor wont fit the ebay distributor? The center part of the rotor is too large to fit in the distributor shaft on the ebay 1? Does this sound like a bad coil, module? With the cap swap it still skips/misses bad.
Sorry didn't mean to get off post subject. I should've started a new 1.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 PM

I have a mallory unilite mech. advance with remote 50,000 coil--daily driver 75 nova 350/350--nary a missed beat

i would beware of the $50 -$100 products on evil bay-u get what u pay for

my 2 cents

fp

ps--don't think u can go wrong with the mallory unit from jegs
Old 05-23-2008, 06:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcaminodragster
would i have to use an ignition box with the one wire distributors??? and can i hook up a tach to the dist??? i use my tach big time in the way i tune my car i go by what sounds and performs the best so the tach is my mine tunning tool.

i look into them for sure tho. im not in any rush to buy it but it is my next buy for the car.
No you dont need a box, they are "ready to run" and yes tach hookup would be to the negative side of the coil.
I personally have an MSD and an Accel and both work fine. I would recommend with any electronic distributor you buy a spare module and keep in in the glove box.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

elcamino,

do pay attention to the unit's amps rating when comparing various dist....

way way over simplified but that is giving you a idea of how "robust" the SS board is for transistor heat handling capability....

that translates into life expectancy and how well it will work under extreme heat conditions

oem HEI is/was about 5.5amps....
aftermarket dist are anywhere from only 2-3 amps to 20amps (aka msd circle track model) worth of "reliability"
SSedan,

"small to fair chance" it is ohms resistance on the neg supply side causing the module transistors to run hot and/or mis-fire....
rig a copper wire jumper from the batt neg to the dist body (and module ground wire if there is one) and see if it runs better....
for any 5VDC SS device....a rock solid/0 ohms resistance ground source path is a absolute must have!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

i think im just gonna stick with my choice and get the msd street fire dist. and a set of there super conductor wires. at just over 200 bucks for both its a good buy in my book. msd is a really good brand they are only ignition so they know there stuff. and its relatively cheap. now i just got to get the money for it. . .

DARN GAS PRICES!!!!

thanks for the opinions
Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Make sure the plug boots are not too near your headers, they go soft and crumble if exposed to heat.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

is that with the msd wires? because i have a couple wires really close to the headers and one is either touching or extremely close i cant tell (weird angle).

but im still thinking about getting the fiberglass sleeves to cover it.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
elcamino,

SSedan,

"small to fair chance" it is ohms resistance on the neg supply side causing the module transistors to run hot and/or mis-fire....
rig a copper wire jumper from the batt neg to the dist body (and module ground wire if there is one) and see if it runs better....
for any 5VDC SS device....a rock solid/0 ohms resistance ground source path is a absolute must have!
Thanks, I'll try the ground wire idea. By the way this is on a 71Chevy C10 350 4brl. I bypassed the resistor wire that ran to the points Distributor and ran a 12ga wire from HEI to a Ign. hot only terminal in the fuse box.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.