picking a new wire harness please help :) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

picking a new wire harness please help :)

very random outta no where the reverse lights and blinkers arent working and the acc plug in on the fuse box is dead zero power to it. no reason just stooped working . so im just going to get a new harness. the harness is all funky anyway ive reworked it to many times to keep it alive and working so im just going to get new.

im not going to put in power anything. the only thing aside from all the lights is a heater, radio, and future electric fuel pump. no ac power windows nothing like that. so im thinking of the harness in the link. could i get away with the 8 circuit t-bucket harness??? im not good with electrical so i could use some help picking a harness.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rsview=sku&Ns=

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

If your harness ia all hacked up---this would probably be a good choice.

Even if you decide you want more electrical stuff later on----would be no problem to add a buss and some relays for more circuits.

Be very very patient while doing this project---and take your time.

Learn how to solder for wiring long life.
Become familiar with the wiring harness----what wire goes where etc.

Do not just jump into this---
Read and COMPREHEND the instructions
Pay very close attentuion to the wiring diagrams that are sent to you.

I have been told that Painless could do a lot better on their documentation, so if you need specifics----I still have the drawings for the Centech kit I put in my 59.

Check all the wires from the fusebox and compare them with your instructions. This will not only get you familiar with what is going on, but you may also find a wiring error (I had 2 headlight feeds and was missing something else--cannot remember--Centech replaced the kit, but I could have used it as it was, if I had marked the correct HL lead).

Only do one portion at a time
Headlights
Engine
Dash
taillights

Mount the box----
pull the wiring where you want it to go
wrap or tie it in bundles and routes
Mark where each lead needs to be cut

etc.etc.

I'm getting ready to do this again---on the 66 Elky
Old 12-14-2008, 12:42 AM

Last photo:

im not looking forward to this at all but it does need it. the harness is all jacked up. when i bought the thing 2 years ago it had about 10 wires leading from nowhere to nothing and some wires were live and just capped off!

ive since then cleaned it up as best i could but again. . . im not good with wires so i know its not all that good but it hasnt failed me yet (knock on wood).

but i know i should get a new harness because the wires are stiff and some are dried and cracked with tape on it.

i have a strong ignition a mojave heater extra gauges and door poppers so i know the harness isnt holding up as good as it should. i have relays on the poppers and my headlights which helps.

would putting relays on my radio, heater, brake lights and starter help out???

i want a very good strong harness that wont fail me. i noticed the MASSIVE improvement on my headlights with the relays so i know they work and i would like to use relays anywhere it would help.

so would it be better to buy the t-bucket harness (that i can and more circuits if needed/wanted) or the 12 circuit harness???

my brain hurts tying to figure this out lol.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:19 AM

Last photo:

elcamino,
typical/normal to have way too many wires,,,many/most oem harnesses are made up to accomodate and include usually every last electrical option possible....
(one harness for all cars)

first:
scroll down on this link to the electrical articles and do some testing/evaluating,,,it's slightly more probable/as probable that a "device" has died causing the problems (neutral safety switch/fusable link/ign switch/whatever) and new wires won't correct that....

http://www.aa1car.com/carleyware/library.htm

think positive!!!!
what you learn on this project does directly apply to fixing almost anything electrical for the rest of your life!!!!

Last edited by red65mustang; 12-14-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

thank you red i think i found the problem and its my turn signal switch. . . and for some reason it also fried my neutral safety switch go figure.

so im still going to buy a new harness but im also going to replace all the switches and what not just so its all new and up to date.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

When it comes to wiring harness, you really do get what you pay for (in my limited experience). Sure, every kit will include the harness itself, but beyond that kits differ in what they offer: new connectors/reuse old, good instructions/whatever works, etc.

I only have direct experience with 3 different harnesses, from high-end to economy, so don't know if this will help you (or anyone else) or not. This is also not an apples-to-apples comparison.

My first wiring job I went with one of American Autowire's high-end custom deals, and this kit had everything - including new terminals, connector bodies and switches. The directions were real easy [for me] to follow because they used actual electrical schematics like what would be found in the factory service manuals. Their tech help was real good too - I always got an email response within 24 hours, most times less. Course this was several years ago so I don't know if things have changed or not.

The second job used a lower cost Painless harness, so kinda on the opposite end of the spectrum of the AA harness. This one didn't include any terminals or connectors, instead their instructions said to cut the connector off of the old harness and butt-splice 'em to the new harness (I instead bought new terminals and re-used the plastic connector housings). It did include some new switches, but the larger ones (like the headlight or neutral safety) were not included. Their instructions also used curvy lines and pictures instead of actual schematics - I found it much easier to refer to the factory wiring schematics to do the bulk of the job. This harness also didn't have a circuit for reverse lights, so I had to add that.

For the third harness, I went with one of Summit's deals, which is probably very similar to the EZ-wiring harness that is out there. This is definitely a bare-bones harness, with no real extras (no extra switches, terminals, and only a handful of connector bodies). The instructions are also real similar to the Painless instructions using the arrows and pictures instead of schematics. I haven't installed this one yet, but I can tell you that I'm glad that I went with the harness from A.A. for my first one instead of this one (or even the Painless harness).

As far as adding relays, I wouldn't bother adding 'em to the radio (unless you've got a high-power aftermarket setup), or starter. Don't know enough about the Mojave heaters to say yes or no, but it probably wouldn't make a real difference (especially not with a new harness). Using relays for all the lights would be a good improvement since that takes a lot of strain off of the switch itself.

One tip that I can give ya is to be generous with the wire ties during installation - especially under the dash (it makes it much easier to work with when you've got one branching snake instead of a loose bowl of spaghetti). While planning everything out, though, use twist ties instead of wire ties - this way you can add and remove wires without having to go through wire ties like they're going out of style. Also make sure that you plan for slack and don't cut anything until you're sure that's how you want it to be routed. It's easier to take an inch or two off of a wire than add it back on.

A factory wiring diagram would be a big help as well. Even if you're not doing a stock replacement, it'll come in handy when trying to figure out how things work. It was indispensable when I used the Painless harness cause the diagram that Painless had for the headlight switch was not the same as the stock headlight switch (the stock one had fewer contacts).

Just some of my experience. Maybe it'll help ya out
- Mike
Old 12-19-2008, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

camino,
many of the older cars have no fuse on the turn signals or neutral safety switch,,,,which would/could have given you a warning with blown fuses that the contacts are shot from to many open/close arcs and the old age harness resistance....
who knows how many alt voltage spikes and shorts they have survived over the years

when and where practical, do add copper grounds wires from the device ground screw back to the batt neg while it's torn apart,,,it will help wipers/blower/etc last abit longer and work better...
(doesn't matter how they are connected, series/parallel or even a spider web,,,just so there is a "0" ohms copper path on the neg supply side)
Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'm using an American Autowire harness for my project car - quite frankly, it has more wire with the kit then I could ever use. They include most switches and connectors for any normal car wiring project - including, just to name a few items, the ignition switch, headlight switch, column connector, gauge connectors and dimmer switch - though I found that dimmer switch to be a POS and had to buy a good one from NAPA for $8.00. Of course you do have to provide your own battery master switch and any other miscellaneous pieces that you feel needed outside of a standard OEM type installation. The wires are color coded for GM, each wire is numbered and has an arrow pointing the installation direction. The wire has an excellant quality insulation(tough) and seems better then the NAPA/Federal Mogul $6.99 a roll stuff. I compared this "kit" with Ron Francis and Painless and though those are good "kits", the AAW supplied me with almost everything where the others just piling up the add ons. There are many individual pages for each system plus overall diagrams/schematics - and their customer service was great when I had a couple of questions.

Basically - ya pay me now or ....later

This is the dash before installation -

....and after:

Dave W
Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

hey Brimstone and Irelands child,

where might i find the AA harness???
Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 AM

http://www.americanautowire.com/index.html
Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Rebel Wire
Old 12-24-2008, 06:33 AM

Last photo:

Haywire

I used one of these. I agree with the "you get what you pay for" statement. I am fairly happy with it, especially after comparing to a friend's cheapo harness. I still had to order a few additional connectors and other misc, but most of it was there.

I highly recommend you solder. I even soldered some wires the manufacturer crimped. It's the best way to avoid future problems.

A lot of street rod vendors sell these and you can buy them factory direct as well:

http://haywireinc.com/catalog/index....sv20g0c8l70av0

Steve
Old 12-24-2008, 08:12 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

wiring.

I down loaded the info from EZ2Wire, I haven't used their harness but they have good info on their site.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

does the AA harness come with the option of spade fuses??? or is it only the glass fuses???
Old 12-24-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcaminodragster
does the AA harness come with the option of spade fuses??? or is it only the glass fuses???
AAW panels come with the mini spade/blade fuses - I believe ATM style. The glass fuses are about completely phased out of most products.

Dave W

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.